5.0L crankshaft

Hi all, Not having ripped my 1990 5.0L apart, (Since it only has 9,000 original miles on it) I would like to settle an issue with a friend once and for all. The issue is what is the crank made out of? Now, it has been my understanding that the production 1990 5.0L V8 in the Mustang uses a cast iron crank, not a forged steel crank. But as usual I have someone saying that his mustang came stock with a steel crank. It is a 1989 5.0L. Everything I have read about these engines and seen when they were apart leads me to believe that the only way his engine could have a forged steel crank is if some one replaced the stock unit with such a crank. I'm curious, Have I been incorrect in saying that stock Mustang 5.0L engines of the 1989 - 1992 vintage have a cast iron crank? Also does the new 4.6L ohc engine (Single OHC) use a steel or cast iron crank? Anyway, here is what I have seen in the 5.0L Iron crank, Steel rods Forged Aluminum Pistons Roller cam (changed late 1990 to a milder profile)

Reply to
wdb

The stock 5.0L crank is cast, not forged. Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

I think you know more than yor friend. All 289,302 & 5.0's had cast iron cranks except the 69-70 Boss 302 engines which had forged steel cranks.The 4.6 SOHC crank is cast and the Cobra 4.6 DOHC crank is forged.

Reply to
winze

sounds like they were probably relating forged pistons with forged cranks, all 289,302,5.0 pistons are cast aluminum except 69-70 Boss

302,(carbed)85 and 86-92 mustang engines,they all had forged aluminum pistons, 93-present mustangs have hypereutectic cast pistons.
Reply to
winze