1993 Ford Mustang Dies Out

Driving along, around 35 mph and the car just dies out, no warning. No brakes, power steering, gas, nothing. What?s up? Can anyone please help. Then, after a few minutes, it starts back up and won?t do it again for another week or two. It?s never happened while driving over 45 mph???

Thanks!

Reply to
TD

Replace the ignition switch under the steering wheel for about $10 or use a zip tie to make the plug part stay seated.

This is my official guess.

Don Manning

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

2.3Sleeper

Nah. What's that gooshy, squeezy module thing that had a bad habit of going out when it got too hot? This would happen in the Princessmobile - it'd just shut down. After it cooled off a bit, it would start up again, as if nothing were wrong. More often than not, this would happen if I tried to restart the car after sitting for a few minutes, but it did start happening on the road - that's when I had it replaced.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

The module on the distributor.

Replace it and be sure to lube its c>>Replace the ignition switch under the steering wheel for about $10 or use >>a

Reply to
cprice

That's it The TFI module. Especially in the New York City area over the past couple of weeks of 90+ degree weather. That's my bet.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

One more time:

If you keep the {gooshy, squeezy module thing} TFI lube greasy, it wont do that.

Bet you find the stuff on there now has consistency of stale cake icing.

"dwight" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

The problem could also be a bad fuel pump. And the not dying out at over 45 mph could be just chance.

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 16:26:31 +0000, Backyard Mechanic rearranged some electrons to form:

And don't use dielectric grease, wheel bearing grease, hair grease, bacon grease, monkey shit, or any other unknown substance. Use the heat sink compound that comes with the new unit.

Reply to
David M

Reply to
scott and barb

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 15:01:55 +0000, scott and barb rearranged some electrons to form:

You need to use something that can withstand the underhood temperatures.

Reply to
David M

"dwight" wrote : Nah. What's that gooshy, squeezy module thing that had a bad habit of going : out when it got too hot?

ROFLMAO!!! Is it located right there next to the double knobbed, chrome plated flammywahammer?

Oh man Dwight, that was too funny, the gooshy squeezy...... dounds like me trying to describe parts.

Reply to
SVTKate

Well for cryin out loud! If you're going to tell them NOT to use all those other things the LEAST you can do is tell them what then CAN use.

Reply to
SVTKate

Yeah, this kind of highly technical speak gets me a little excited, too.

:()

Reply to
dwight

David M wrote in news:pan.2005.08.27.16.51.41.789325@sled351:

Arggghh...YES! you can use Computer heat sink grease!

In fact... you can use the Plumber's silicone grease from Lowes plumbing dept!

Stands up to 350 deg and that's a WHOLE lot hotter than that TFI/distributor base junction gets.

I used it on a test, checked after about three months... still there!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Yikes Guys,

  1. Go to Radio Shack (or similar place)
  2. Buy Spray Can of Electronic Connector Cleaner (a.k.a TV Tuner Cleaner)
  3. Find EVERY connector (you will "overkill, but it's easy and couldn't hurt) you can find under the hood and disconnect it, spray it with cleaner, make/break the connector (to clean it) and restart the car with reliability. You are reestablishing the low-voltage connnections that only the most microscopic sheen of corrosion can break.
  4. Repeat 1. through 3. about every 6 months.
  5. Drive trouble free (except for other reasons, usually heavily mechanical) for the life of your car - any make/any model.
  6. Believe me and do it.

This is CHEAP preventive routine maintenance - disregard it at your expense.

I can prove this with "case studies" on the variety of 'cars/trucks/sport cars/muscle cars/high priced image cars owned by wealthy friends' that I have assisted with this simple advice.

SPREAD THE WORD - I should open a shop and charge, and hire a disconnector/reconnector sprayer to work for peanuts. If he bought stock in this enterprise, he's retire soon.

Ciao Brian in Seattle

Reply to
Brian from Home

Sounds reasonable. I've shined up the terminals on cell phones, pagers, walkie talkies, my kids' toys, my wife's vibrator, etc., etc., etc. for the same medicinal reason.

Reply to
John

"John" wrote in news:tOOTe.6486$ snipped-for-privacy@fe03.lga:

SOUNDS reasonable... but it isnt! It's idiocy!

The reason those connectors oxidize after 8 or so years is that the lube they were assembled with dries out.

And air gets into them. Cleaning the entire harness connector assy every 6 months is NUTS!

If the connector lube is contaminated, clean it and relube it. If you're simply doing maintenance, open them and apply more dielectric grease, and work them a few times, then leave 'em be for several more years.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Kate, HMMM. FlammyWahammer sounds like a pet name for something far more personal than a car's repair part!

The small tube of grease w/the unit will work fine (I'm back on topic now, Kate) .

bradtx

Reply to
bradtx