1995 suspension needs changing...maybe engine too...so how much $$ will this be?

hello, I've got a RELIABLE 1995 mustang w/V-6, around 138k. The suspension is shot on it, I also know the engine might not make it much further due to head gasket issues. I haven't had any problems but I'm aware of this engine thing with these cars. So.....it's been reliable. I don't know if I should sell it and get a new car or fix it up and keep this one. I really don't like the idea of paying big car bills for the next 3 or 4 years!

I was wondering about fixing up the suspension (mustang's in general suck ASS in the handling dept....I had an RX7 turbo....now those cars handled like they were on rails!) and maybe dropping in a newer engine. I still want a v-6 due to better gas mileage and less trouble in the reliability dept. (This thing still gets me 30mpg....I do mostly highway).

Is it possible to drop an engine from a 2000/2003 mustang into a 1995? What about the suspension? Where are good places to get complete suspension parts? Everything! Shocks, springs, rollbars, bushings, etc.

The body is in perfect shape......no accidents and the paint job still looks decent. Also the clutch is about due for a change......any recommendations for a good street clutch but w/better performance than stock?

Thanks!

Oskar

Reply to
DaveT

at 13 Feb 2004, DaveT [ snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net] wrote in news:xe_Wb.21674$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr24.news.prodigy.com:

Yes and no. After 1998 the setup changed and requires a lot more work for a swap than doing a =

Reply to
Paul

You're right: the suspensions on the 95 coupes were pretty mundane. The best suspension system for a late-model Mustang that I know about is the SVT GT Bullitt package. See this at:

Ignore the add-on's at the bottom of the page. Change the quads if so equipped.

I can't comment much on the engine problems. The early 6's had issues, as you've discovered. If money is an issue, install the Bullitt suspension, and when the engine breaks, have it fixed in such a way that it won't break again. New cars are extremely expensive, and unless you want to bleed out of your EYES making payments for 5+ years, stick with ol' reliable.

Of course, all bets are off after you see and drive the '05 GT. Hell, I might even buy one, and I *hate* being in debt.

Regards,

-JD

--------------------------------- JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams---------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

pheonix1t
** There's just one more thing.....the seat position ** relative to the cabin and the headlights. ** The seats are too far up in the cabin, who came up with this design? ** I'd love to meet this person or dept. and tell them how dumb they are!

Mustangworld.com offers a tech page on adding more travel to the front seating. I did mine in about an hour, and the results were excellent. I'm

6'0", and have more than enough legroom now.

** The other thing is the headlights - they are just aweful!

Mine came misadjusted from the factory. Have a tech check the alignment, and add a set of Sylvania Xtravision bulbs. If the lenses are cloudy, polish them out for extra performance. (I've successfully used toothpaste, aluminum polish and automotive paint glaze. They should be crystal clear and glass-like.) Mine light up the road great now, and they're so bright that oncomming traffic often hits me with their high beams.