Prius MPG

I did an experiment with gas mileage related to tire pressure.

I found that the recommended tire pressure gave me on average 49mpg Increasing by two pounds per tire put me over 50 mpg and four pounds gave me over 52 mpg.

At what tire pressure are you compromising safety for mileage?

Reply to
Kim Rogoff

As my 2005 Prius has yet to be delivered to me, I don't have accurate information as to the manufacturer's suggested tire pressures. But I do know this: Never pump up your tires to a pressure higher than the maximum pressure molded on the sidewall of the tire. Always check your tire pressure when the tire is cold.

Stan

Reply to
Stan and Dee Bringer

With 42/40 front/rear I have no handling problems.

Reply to
richard schumacher

I have had my Prius for almost 3 weeks. The average MPG is usually indicated to be between 50 and 52 MPG, but I find this is just a bit optimistic. I put in 20.8 gallons for the first 1028 miles of driving, for a real 49.4 MPG.

I get much better mileage when I avoid high speed highways, but most of my usual commute to work is highway driving, and the above 70mph portion has been increasing.

I have not yet touched the tire pressure. I guess I'd best check it.

Al

Reply to
A Sherman