2002 GT Auto..... advice.

I'm used to my 69 Camaro small block, but just aquired a 2002 GT automatic. I wanted the 5 speed but couldn't pass this one up. I'm just curious about some real world things you guys have done to your cars. Exhaust, throttle bodies, etc.. and how they have improved your 1/4 mile times. I certainly won't be swapping heads or anything of that nature anytime soon, as it's a daily driver for the woman. Also, any tips on shift kits/reprogrammers? Worth the trouble?

Well that's all for now, just curious about things that have worked for you. Thanks in advance.

Brian

Reply to
Brian

Gears. Throw some 4.30 gears in that puppy. F*ck gas mileage :D. If mileage is a real concern... go with 4.10's.. or if it's a HUGE concern, 3.73's... and if it's even more of a concern... sell the car.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

Reply to
<memset

Also... some stainless steel 40 series delta flows (by Flowmaster) will make it sound great & since they're stainless steel I'd imagine they'll last a lot longer than the normal version! Btw... I said such lower gears b/c you have an automatic. If you had a manual.. I'd of started with 4.10's then said 3.73's.

Also, build that suspension! Brake upgrades are a plus..

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

Reply to
<memset

If it was mine I'd put in a 3000 PI converter to get the good hit off the line without the downsides of gears on a daily driver.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

My 2K GT/auto has has 3.73s, Flowmaster cat-back and 'F' springs since day 2. At the 1/4 mile I hit the rev-limiter in the traps at times and it still knocks down 20+ MPG. It has 107+K on it now and I prefer it to the four F-bodies I've had in the past.

bradtx

Reply to
B2723m

I bet it sounds killer. Got any sound clips or pictures?

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

Reply to
<memset

What times are you running? Just curious. Do you shift or leave it in drive?

Reply to
Brian

Mike, I don't have any sound bites, but it sounds a lot meaner than it is.

Brian, The best time/speed was a 14.3 at about 98-99 MPH, if I remember correctly. The rev-limiter kicks in if I get too much wheel spin in first, or any spin in second. I haven't run it with the Nitto 555s, but they don't seem quite as sticky as the G-Techs. While there are overdrive upshift programs available now, there weren't when I regeared (which required a chip to correct the speedo) and I haven't bothered to get one.

One thing that'll be interesting...after the '89 is all sorted out the '00 is getting a 9lb KB kit. Should be interesting to see how well this engine does after so many miles and smiles.

bradtx

Reply to
B2723m

Try a programmer. My '01 GT Vert (also auto) ran a best of 14.105 @

98.something. Tapped the rev limiter out of first and almost touched out of second. The Hypertech Programmers are about $380 or so and they also adjust your speedo for gears and tire sizes. Also on that 14.105 run I had the programmer, 93 Octane, an octane "booster", about 4-6,000miles on the oil, factory plugs (about 40,000miles), and factory air filter (also about 40k miles). I think the plugs were stock or just replaced, dont remember (that was about a year ago... since then I've added a Magnaflow Catback, Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, and a Steeda Spacer).

Gagan

Reply to
Gagan (mwarrior)