289 engine pressure

I have a 65 289 with stuff done to it. I was considering putting in a

302 block I guess with the 4 bolt main.

My question is that currently I have issues with the proper oil cap to release pressure. Not all cars run that way, so what causes the need for a breather cap over a regular oil cap?

Would changing to the 302 change the way the pressure builds? (you know how with the after market valve covers using a breather cap always seems to leak some oil)

Thanks in advance,

Pat in socal

Reply to
pat

That would be a BOSS 302. The only 302 with four bolt mains ( well, not including the Tunnel port block which is what the BOSS 302 is based on)

Early cars might not have had PCV systems on them and just allowed the blowby gasses to vent to the air either through a breather or to a "road draft tube"

By the time the 302 came out PCV systems were pretty standard on engines. The PCV system just uses the valve to scavenge the gases out of the system and balance the pressure in the crankcase and return the gases into the intake to be reburnt in the combustion chamber.

The leaking you get is most likely caused by a poor baffling under the breather cap and/or too much blowby that causes oily gasses to condense back into oil in the breather and leak out basically just saturating it. Later Ford oil fill caps/ breathers had elbows and hoses that refed the gasses directly into the air filter enclosure. If you have an open element filter you usually get a connector to install one under the base plate to fulfill this need.. HTH StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

Do't forget that there is a difference between closed and open PCV systems as well. The difference is in the "intake" or "makeup" air..... the closed system uses the same filtered air that the engine "breathes" while the open system uses a filtered oil cap.

Whether the system is road draft or PCV, it is important that air is allowed to flow through the crankcase to remove all the bad stuff.

"
Reply to
Jim Warman

breather cap and/or

breather and leak

elbows and hoses

open element

Thanks for the great reply. I just did a valve job and my 289 from a

64.5 needs to be rebuilt. I was thinkiing of just getting a crate 302, but I was told to look for a 302 4 bolt. If the price is too much, I think I am just going to get a 302 and bolt on my heads, RPM intake, Cam, Headers, exhuast. It doesn't seem worth the time/effort/money to rebuild my 289.

I also want to change it to a 5 speed becuase I can't fit a stall in the small tranny housing. I am worried I might have to pound out a spot for a AOD, so I may as well go 5 speed just for the fun.

Thanks again for the last advice.

Pat Socal

Reply to
pat

Whoa, seabiscuit...... If yours is an original 64.5, you will likely have the 5 bolt bellhousing. There'll be no 302 in your future without a transmission or bellhousing swap...

Jim Warman

Yea, it is a true 64.5, so you are saying that I will have to pound out the spot to make a regular bellhousing fit. This guy who has the same car said he pouned out the space and welded in a metal plate to accomodate the new trans, actually from a vette.

I always thought the 289 and 302 blocks are exactly the same except for the shorter stroke in the 289. Thanks for this insight, because this one is new to me. When I put in a c4 that I picked up I had to put the bellhousing from the stock c4 to get it to fit, not for bolts but because it is such a tight spot. thanks, I guess I will plan to do the 302 and the trans at the same time. I guess I have to save a little more.

pat

Reply to
pat

What do you meen that you can't fit a stall in the tranny housing? I'm guessing that you mean that you can't get a stall toque converter for a C4? If so... there are tons of stall converters for that tranny... Try

You can also swap in an AOD without pounding out your tunnel. Its tight, but goes in ok.. the biggest concern with the AOD is getting the TV cable adjusted properly. Failure to do so will fry the AOD in short order.

Good luck.........

small tranny housing. I am worried I might have >to pound out a spot for a AOD, so I may as well go 5 >speed just for the fun.

Reply to
Mustang_66

What I mean is that when I put in the C4 that I got used (it was used in a 89 stang with a shift kit and a 2500 stall for racing. When I went to install it the bellhousing would not fit past the tunnel. I changed the bellhousing to the stock one from the fried C4, and then it fit. But then the drive shaft didn't fit, so I replaced that with a shaft from a 89 type stang. It is a little out of balance, but it works ok. I plan on getting a custom shaft when I figure what what tranny to use. The AOD would be nice and I guess I can switch the the stock bellhouseing, but it is smaller. The stock converter fits fine (it is real thin), but the racing one I have is too thick. It seems that the 64.5 & maybe 65 have a smaller area for the tranny then most classic stangs. I was hoping many people here had done this conversion.

Thanks for reminding me about he TV cable,

Pat in Socal

I'm

Reply to
pat