300 I6, was; 2.3L turbo

Has anybody tried this setup? Is the block just too long to fit without major mods to the firewall and radiator placement? I'm not gonna do it, but it sounds like a cool idea. A much stronger block with the same cubes (basically) as the 302. 7 mains over 4 (bulletproof).

Reply to
Scott Williams

If you're going to persue this, do it because it's something so different, not because it *seems* more bulletproof. If you're going to be putting out enough power to risk the durability of a 302, you've got a LOT of mods in your future to both vehicle and engine.

It will be a bit of cutting, and will decrease value of the car, but

may have a lot of parts for this engine. With the aftermarket being what it is for the 302, however, the bang for the buck is clearly in favor of the 302.

I have seen some 300 inch sixers in hopped up Ford F-series trucks. Pretty cool stuff.

Vic

2kGT 5m blk suspensi>Has anybody tried this setup? Is the block just too long to fit without
Reply to
Victor DiMichina

That is one of the MOST durable engines ever built and it DOES have performance potential as well.

Keep us updated if you decide to do it !

--

-ERIC

89 5.0 LX Vert w/93 Cobra long block, GT-40 heads, Unknown Camshaft(??), HyperTech Chip, 73mm C&L MAF, BBK 2.5" O/R H-pipe, Flowmaster 40 Series Deltas, King Cobra Clutch Set, BBK Strut Tower Brace, Poly bushings.

Reply to
Katmandu

I thought about doing it a few years back, but that block is too long to fit in the bay of a first gen. Maybe it would fit in a '67-'73 bay? Maybe it would fit the Ranchero? But I'm already dropping a nice 302 in it.

Scott W. '66 Mustang HCS '68 Ranchero 500 '68 Fury III

Reply to
Scott Williams

I looked at this, too. I like the looks of an I6 in an early Mustang. If done right, it looks pretty good and makes a very nice driver. But the 240/300 is just too big. It's so long that you'll have to split the radiator (not a big deal). But it's tall enough to cause some serious hood interferance. You'de have to fab a pretty dramatic hood scoop, as long as the engine. And it's heavier than the v8 302, with more weight foreward.

IMO, not a good swap for a Mustang.

Reply to
.boB