45 m.p.h. whining

I have a 99 3.8L convertible. When I get to 40-50 m.p.h. there is a loud whining sound from the gears. Anybody know why?

Reply to
Menoah

You're driving too slow.

Reply to
.boB

Is it coming from the rear end? If so it's your ring & pinion whining. May need to have that differential looked at.... May want to check if it's got any oil in it.....

Stephan

Reply to
Stephan Rose

Do something now! Check externally for leaks, a low fluid level will destroy a gear pretty fast. A greasy, messy rear cover is a tell tale of a leak. Have it checked out, mind you when it whines it's already late but might not be to late...

2 cents

Serge

Reply to
Serge

Take the service writer on a drive with you, and duplicate the problem. Chances are it will be worse AFTER some freeway driving, if it's what I think it is. I had this on my 2000, it's likely the ring & pinion assy. replaced under warranty. The ONLY way they could not use the "can't duplicate problem" bullshit line on me was that I took the service writer with me on a drive.

Reply to
Victor DiMichina