Launch RPM in 5.0

Guys,

Even with my almost stock 5.0 (5-spd), and stock 2.73s, I can't get a good launch on my Mustang.

I've got Comp TAs (225s) and I'm wondering what you guys do to get it going, fast! I just spin unless I feather it but then it bogs...

Thanks!

Brad

Reply to
BradandBrooks
225's? Try a wider tire.. like 275 or 295. I got OK traction using 255/60R-15 w/ 3.73 gears (98 GT), but after nitrous... gotta get some drag slicks ;P. Gonna go with a 275/60R-15 street tire for daily driving though.

-Mike

Reply to
memset

I hate to tell you this, but your car is just not set up for a quick take off. If you're good enough, and practice enough, you can get some decent launches. But you're really hampered by your equipment. But you already knew that. Start by putting on a wider tire. 255 is too small to get traction. Put the widest tire you can get in there. You could also let a little air out of the rear tires; like around 2-4 psi. Then change your rear end gearing. 2.73 is made for highway cruising and that's about it. Consider 3.55 or 3.73.

Reply to
.boB

Brad,

If you're near sea level, try 1,800-2,000 rpms then slip the clutch. Remember, it's better to bog a little than it is to spin. Also stay out of the burn box water. Any water in the treads is going to cause you to lose traction.

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L

Let me add something else about the water box. If you do go in there, don't spin the tires in the water. This throws water on the inside of the wheel house, and it will drip on the tires when you're at the line.

Owned two LX Mustangs like you describe. About 2,000 RPM, easy launch. You need to practice a little to get it right. If the tires go up in smoke, your out. Takes a long time to recover. You have to slip the clutch a little or it will spin or bog.

Al

Reply to
Big Al