Oh crap... tranny noise

Guys, I know nothing about the 5.0 5-spd (1993), except mine is sometimes (mostly) making some serious noises above 3 grand. I think it is the tranny. Started a few days ago on a hard downshift. When you push in the clutch, the sound goes away, a bit, and once the revs get to 2000, no noise. WTF is going on? Help. :)

Brad

Reply to
BradandBrooks

What gear(s) does it make noise in?

Brad

Reply to
Jim Warman

I'm gonna go WAY out on a limb here and say, "Water pump."

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Water pump? Man, that is interesting... thing is I respect your guys' opinion.

Well, the noise, thus far, is really second gear, sometimes first. By the time you are at 3,000 in third with the stock 2.73s your at 120kph. I was only there once and no real noise.

Brad

Reply to
BradandBrooks

Let me know if you hear any cracking noises, I'll throw you a rope....

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

(mostly) making some serious noises above 3 grand. I think it is the tranny. Started a few days ago on a hard downshift. When you push in the clutch, the sound goes away, a bit, and once the revs get to 2000, no noise. WTF is going on? Help. :)

throw out bearing ?

Reply to
RT

I only say that because I was fooled once, myself. Horrible noise, which I swore was coming from the trans. At one time, it sounded like a bicycle chain being dragged over a tin can.

But you're confusing me now...

Is there noise at idle? Is it a metallic clanking or grinding? How's the clutch engagement? Any problems getting into any of the gears, either up or down?

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Dwight... just got back from a 600km trip. Car ran fine. No noise in 5th or

4th. A little in 3rd. 1st and 2nd are a grind-fest. Fine in neutral. Starts lightly at 2K, noticeable by 2.5K. By 3K, in full grind. Car drives fine, everything works, clutch good, but there is a high-pitched metallic sound. It can't be healthy. Is it going to explode, or do I continue to just bag, er, drive it with the noise? :)

Brad

PS: Dunno if it is the throwout bearing. Could be, but doesn't that squeal all the time? And mine is more of a grind. :(

Reply to
BradandBrooks

Squeel yes, but not all the time.

Reply to