No more Cobra intake

Does anyone know Ford Racing's reasoning behind discontinuing the Cobra intake for 5.0's? I really like that intake and now I may be forced to go with Trickflow or that new Professional Products Typhoon. I guess the TrickFlow is decent, but I'm not real big on the looks of it and I hear it sorta sucks to install. I'd think the cobra was a good money-maker for ford racing, but I could be wrong.

Reply to
KICKERSCRT

Michael Johnson, PE

Installing the TrickFlow isn't that bad.... and I like the looks... but don't get anything above the smallest version unless you're really pushing some horsepower and have a much more open air intake system (heads, etc). I had the Track Heat and it was way too much intake for what I had. Driveability sucked and the car didn't gain that much power over stock. I put the stock intake back on and all of the issues that I'd had went away immediately.

JS

Reply to
JS

Trickflow or that new Professional Products Typhoon.

beware, the Professional Products Typhoon is made in china, a friend bought one of the carbed intakes, the quality looked good but it's not been installed yet to see how it performs.

Reply to
winze

I didn't know they were discontinuing it. It shouldn't matter anyway though because there are tons of them out there, you could always get one used. I sold one about 3 months ago for $250. I swapped mine out for a Track Heat(TFS) intake for the extra power. Like JS said though, you don't want a Track Heat unless you are making some good power numbers. Mine worked well on top of my 331 stroker, it was a big improvement over the cobra especially at 4000+ RPMs. Another intake you may want to check out is the edelbrocks, alot of guys have good success with them. I am a trick flow fan myself though, but for now now i'll stick with my GT-40 intake(i guess if they discontinued the cobra, they probably will discontinue that one too??) Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

Hi Erik

I'm about to start on my engine and was planning on the AFR 164 heads with a TF Street Heat intake, 65 mm TB and 76 mm MAF with 24# injectors. This will be for street and occasional open track events. I haven't decided on a cam yet and I'm still looking around for a setup like mine to get some ideas. The bottom end is stock and will stay that way for awhile anyhow.

Reply to
Joe Cilinceon

How many 5.0Ls are out there?

-Rich

Reply to
rander3127

I don't know the exact number but I can say that number gets smaller everyday. The number of 4.6L engines are growing every day. Sooner or later the 4.6L will be in more cars on the road than the 302/5.0L.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

If they make the 4.6L that long. Consider they stuffed 302s in cars and trucks for what... 25-30 years or so. They might not always be the most desirable things in the world (older, non-roller blocks, etc), but the number of 302/5.0L engines will be greater than the number of 281/4.6L engines for quite a long time to come yet.

They're already hinting around at a next generation 5.0L SOHC/DOHC engine...

JS

Reply to
JS