'67 289 Timing/Power Questions

Hi all,

my 67 started running poorly all the sudden last week. It has 96K on it, replaced cap, rotor, plugs, wires last year. Still has points (I know this is on my list...). Had the Autolite 2100 carb rebuilt last year. Still seems to run rich, but generally runs well.

I had read some info about setting the initial timing ahead a few degrees on these, and bumped it up to 16-18. Ran it, and no knocking, seemed to have a bit more power so I left it there. Ran it about 2 weeks, including a 60 mile drive with no problems.

Last week, I'm on a short run, and right in the middle of cruising, it starts bogging down under load. I let off the pedal, it idles fine, shift in newtral, rev it up fine, back on in gear, and it bogs down again. It doesn't die unless I mash the pedal. I re-set the timing, including bringing it back down to 12 degrees, tried adjusting the carb, but the problem is still there. I can rev it up in park with no hint of an issue. As soon as I drop in reverse or drive, the problem comes back.

Since it happened so suddenly, I'm wondering if its possible my chain skipped or jumped a tooth? Would that cause this ? Any other ideas? I'm so bummed, we finally have decent weather here in New England, and I can't drive my car!

thanks

Reply to
pony67

Shawn McClelland

I've heard people cuss Pertronix, but I really like this upgrade! I went with the model II module and coil, and added 8mm wire set. Smooth.

Reply to
veeger

Weak coil.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

We'll find out. I just bought a new coil, cap, rotor, and Pertronix Igniter... will report back later!

Thanks

Bob

Reply to
pony67

I had that happen on my 73 Ranchero (351C). It turned out to be crap in the float bowl that somehow made it past the fuel filter.. Dave

Reply to
nospam

She's back!

Added Pertronix Ignitor, new coil, cap, and rotor. Timing at 12 degrees, she runs like a champ!

Checked compression as well: most at 150 psi, lowest 140, highest 160. Highest was in a cylinder where the plug was dark. Carbon build-up I guess...

Thanks!

Bob

Reply to
pony67