67 GTA

I am looking at a 67 GTA coupe. However, the vin number is 7R01Cxxxxxx. From what I understand is that all 67 GTAs should have an "A" in the 5th position of the vin. Is this correct? I am suspecting that this is a GTA clone and a factory GTA.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Coulter

Didn't the "A" in GTA just mean automatic transmission? (A-code engine is the 289-4 barrel)

The "C" is the 289 2-barrel...which, for 65-66 at least , I think couldn't be a GT ...well a factory GT, I guess the dealer could make any V-8 a GT.

Reply to
Dinsdale

I thought they were either "K" Hi-Po 289 or "S" 390

Tropic Green Y2K 5 Speed Mustang GT P-1SC & Some MM Stuff

Jim Coulter wrote:

Reply to
Gill

Prior to the 67 model year, the GT package required 4V power. In 67 however, the GT package came with the 289-2V (C code) as standard equipment, with the 289-4V (A code), 289-4V (K code) and 390-4V (S code) optional. The O/P's vin indicates the 289-2V engine with single exhaust, which also means his GT should not have come with quad tips compared to 4V engines with dual exhaust, which did. This model year was the only time the GT package distinguished between the automatic and manual transmissions, with the GT designation having a manual transmission and GTA an automatic transmission. Hope this clears things up some....

-- Mike

93 Cobra

Reply to
Mike R

OK, I stand corrected. Thanks. Great looking cars by the way. I Googled up this one.

am kind of partial to Green Stangs :-) Tropic Green Y2K 5 Speed Mustang GT P-1SC & Some MM Stuff

Mike R wrote:

Reply to
Gill