'67 Rebuild problems. Anyone Use Solid Mounts?

Rebuilt the 289 and swapped my C-4 for a '84 T-5 in my 1967 mustang and I've run into some problems. For some reason my engine sits too high that the fan comes less than half an inch from the top radiator hose. I don't understand how this happened since I compared the old motor mounts with the new ones and they looked exactly the same. Even tried buying another set with the same results. Jacked up the tranny to where it's top is touching the underside of the car and the fan's still really close to the hose.

Anyhow I decided that I'll cut out the inch of rubber between the motor mounts and bolt it together. This should give me the clearance I need but would create a solid mount. How bad will this be?

Reply to
actionace

If I follow you, you pulled your 289 out, rebuilt it, added new OE-style mounts, and now the engine sits too high? That IS strange.

Lots of people run urethane motor mounts, so I guess the vibration and harshness is not unacceptable.

One alternative would be to switch to '65-style motor mounts. They set the engine about one inch lower than '66-up. You'd need both the body bracket parts and the engine-mounted parts.

180 Out TS 28
Reply to
180 Out

I got home from work last night and my son was "trying" to put some OE mounts in his 67..he had been strugling with it for a few hours..I gave him a hand and after much trouble was only able to get 3 of the 4 bolts in and the radiator fan was now hitting the upper radiator hose..we pulled one of the new mounts out and found it to be about

1/2" taller then the old one..we are now looking for some that will fit correctly.. Tony
Reply to
Tony Alcocer