71 Mustang cuts out when cold

Hi, I've got a 71 Mustang w/351c 4v & Mallory distributor that will cut out (like no electricty to the engine, but the rest of the car is ok) when it first starts up. Once it is warm it will run fine for the rest of the day. Also, I live in CA so it's not really 'cold'.

Any ideas how to diagnose and fix the problem?

Reply to
WillMySelf

WillMySelf opined in news:Xns957EA40399E03WillMySelf@216.148.227.77:

Mallory dist... dual-point or what? Does the Tach drop out at the same time it starts missing?

Change the condenser and coil.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

It's an electronic distributor...no points. The Tach does drop to nothing. The car doesn't 'miss' as in running rough. It just dies...as in dead. But I can easily restart it. It's almost like someone pulled a wire off, then put it back on again.

Reply to
WillMySelf

I just went through this with my 67, it turned out to be the Mallory electronic module in the distributor. I'm using a comp 9000, and the module was $98.00.

-C. W. Robertson

Reply to
C. W. Robertson

Do you know of anyway to test it before I drop $100 into the part

Reply to
WillMySelf

WillMySelf opined in news:Xns957EB91E65699WillMySelf@63.240.76.16:

Better yet.. quit being a biter...if this is a street car, refit it with Duraspark from later model

see this group on google.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Stick with your (just keep a spare box mounted next to the original one) Duraspark if you like. Duraspark ignitions suck at best. A base Mallory Unilight distributor with a stock coil, provides a hotter cleaner more consistent spark than any Duraspark ignition system.

Reply to
351CJ

I dunno... years and years worth of Duraspark-fired cars later, and I've only seen two of 'em die. Most of mine (none of mine ever died, just ones in friends' cars) had 150-200k miles on the clock, usually were covered in oil being spewed out of a valve cover/intake/front cover, and were in cars that were purchased from owners whose maintenance could be classified as either poor or very poor. 4-banger to 5.0.

One from an '83 V6-turned-V8 died in my friend's car, and one from an '82 (maybe) that was so pieced together it was unreal (hatchback without the original roof, no screws in the interior and things fell off, etc), were the only two I've ever seen die. And I'm still not sure the '83 died, I think it was the distributor, but it got swapped out anyway. I know I'm not the focus group, but I've owned 4 duraspark cars myself...

JS

Reply to
JS