87 Mustang convert are they good or junk?

Hi I am looking into some options here and wondering. Can some people here tell me the good and bad about 87 LX mustang convert. Is it worth buying if its a good deal it has only 135. klos? Thanks

-- Once you feel the punch of a Ford SCJ 428 big block. You will never look back.

Reply to
69GT4spdtrac-loc

Well you will want to check the convert top. And look for any flex in the body. Convertiables arent know for there body strength.

Reply to
John Wiebalk

Im about to go look at a 87 Vert also. But it has 145k also if it is automatic make sure to test drive it thourghly alot have problems with slipping between 2-3.

Reply to
John Wiebalk

As Mustangs go, it's as good as any, and better than most. I love a convertable. Even a well tuned V6/AOD will make a nice cruiser. The advantage of the LX is that it's not considered a muscle/performance car by the insurance companie - or so I've heard. If it's in decent shape and priced right, I'd go for it. Love to have one myself. Now, if you're looking for a racer / street performance car, the convertables need a lot of extra bracing to make them handle well. And I believe the EFI system was upgraded in '89(???) so you might need to change that for real performance work. And they are heavier than a coupe. But still, it could be a great car.

Reply to
.boB

Reply to
John Wiebalk

I LOVE my 89 LX 5.0 Vert!

A previous owner added a strut bar brace under the hood and coil-over shocks in the rear. It handles surprisingly good!

-ERIC

Reply to
Katmandu

Once again you guys came through thanks. Dave

Reply to
69GT4spdtrac-loc

Total junk, I would touch it with a ten foot pole. By the way can you forward the name of the seller? I just might need to give him a call, so as to get a parts car to help repair my 88 with 225,000 miles on it. Sure it's been running fine ever since I bought it new, but I can just feel it, gonna go bad any day now. :)

Reply to
Ironrod

Can I assume it's a 5.0 LX 'vert? If so, they are very sweet cars... and somewhat rare because most 5.0 'verts bought back then seemed to be GTs. And if it's a 5-speed car, it's real keeper!

Since it's a 'vert, and it has 135K on the meter, I'd replace the coil spring isolators, install some QUALITY struts and shocks, and add some chassis bracing -- sub frames and a strut tower brace. A freshened & stiffened suspension will help you enjoy the car so much more!

Try taking a new Cobra or 5-speed Mach 1 for a test drive.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick