What is the best year for buying mustang 6 banger?

Hi all I am looking at buying a mustang six banger. Is there anything I should know? I do know about the head gaskets. I need to kinow what years to buy and problems with these cars. Thanks Dave.

-- Once you feel the punch of a Ford big block. You will never look back.

Reply to
69GT4spdTrac-loc

Yeah, don't do it :-) You can find a comparable GT for pretty close to the same $$ and you'll never look back.

Mike

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
Reply to
Mike

Are you asking about older I-6s or newer V-6s?

'Cause I can't encourage you enough not to subject yourself to a Ford V-6.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

I would get the GT, but if you have to have the V6 get a 1999 or newer. Get the stick though. Close to 200 HP. Claud

69GT4spdTrac-loc wrote:
Reply to
Claud Spinks

Nor the I 6 of old!

-- _______________________________________ "The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: The chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

Reply to
Just Me "Koi"

Yeah. At least it would have some sort of nostalgic value...

Reply to
Dana Myers

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 18:38:14 -0800, Dana Myers wrote something wonderfully witty:

Guess that is a "depends" type issue. I bought my daughter a V6 drop-top. Couldn't afford the insurance on a GT for a 16yo. We haven't had any mechanical problems with it. 24K miles and counting. It drives fairly nice, has average get up and go and cruises the highway Ok. All in all I think it is a fairly decent compromise if there are other considerations such as insurance.

-- "Y'know I remember when things were a lot more fun around here When good was good and evil was evil Before things got so fuzzy"

Don Henley, The Garden of Allah

Reply to
ZombyWoof

I got a 2003 V6, mainly cause I didnt want the insurance of a 23 year old single male, at the time, anyways, I love it. The newer 6's have close to

200 HP, I think its actually 193 or something like that...A few mods, and it's 200. I have it in a stick and it gets up and goes. I test drove the auto and I was really unimpressed. If I would have had to get the auto, I would have looked else where, but the stick really surprised me. The handling is ok and the braking is decent. I would do it again if I had to, but I really would like to get a cobra next time. :)
Reply to
Shane Metzler

As you can see in my sig, I have the '01 Vert V6. Like others that went this route, I didn't want the insurance of a V8. You can check out my website and follow the Mustang link to see what all I have planned for my pony. As some have mentioned, the V6 is rated at 190-193 HP and torque to go with it. Before I start any 'serious' add-on's (just the K&N filter right now) I'll take it to a dyno and get the starting numbers. After each add-on, I'll dyno it and will post the numbers to my website.

Only problems I've encountered with my car is leaks around the weather stripping when it rained. Still under factory warranty and go that fixed with new stripping.

Reply to
Greg B.

LOL good man..Thanks

Reply to
69GT4spdTrac-loc

Thanks Mike.

Reply to
69GT4spdTrac-loc

Thanks for all your help. I have another question for a 1995 - 2001 what would you say is a good price range. I'm in Canada and would prob look in Canuck bucks. I was going to get a vert 5speed low miles hopefully. Thanks Dave.

Reply to
69GT4spdTrac-loc

Now thats a nice ride good luck with it. Oh yeh thanks all for the heads up.

Reply to
69GT4spdTrac-loc

Dear God--why would you want a 6 banger?! (unless you mean a more modern one)

If you've never had an older Ford 6, note they always feel like they're unning rough and there ain't nothing you can do get rid of that uncomfortable "feeling". They also have no guts, of course, but their mileage is a little better compared to a real engine of the time

They ARE easy to work on, tho.

So--if you don't care about power or a smooth feeling ride, there's nothing too bad about them otherwise.

Oh--and you can probably forget about PS and air w/an old 6 banger.

Reply to
vince garcia

he might mean a V-6, i had a 83 must. with a 3.8 that would not stop.. it had p/s and a/c and there was pleanty of power with this engine.. and it was the V-6's that did not blow head gaskets.. it was before ford subbed out the parts to people who could not produce the quality that was needed....

Reply to
jim

Heh, My old 83 cougar (in my sig) still has the 3.8 in it, and it feels pretty strong for what it is. I think it is rated at 90ish HP. I also have an 85 marquis (little one, not grand) with a 3.8 and it is very reliable. I had another 85 marquis before that one with 220k miles on it, but the body fell apart before the motor did! Granted these are not fast motors, they are great for drivers that just want a car that starts every day and doesn't give them much greif (or power :)). These all came with the C5 transmission, which I have never had any of the typical ford tranny problems (like the million AOD's I have been through) but that could be the weak HP of the motors that make them last.

Anyway, If you want a v6, get an old one or a new one, but avoid ones from late

80's and about all of the 90's!

CoogarXR

1983 351w Project
Reply to
CoogarXR

Q.What is the best year for buying mustang 6 banger?

A. NONE

Reply to
winze

You Have to love that.. LOL..