88 GT Cam help

I have a stock 88 Mustang GT with AOD trans. Can I put an F303 cam in the engine with no other modifications?

Reply to
plasticnut

Unless it was originally sold in California or was later converted to mass-air by someone, the answer is no. Speed density computer systems

-- likely what your car is running -- do not like cam changes. Basically, any cam other than a stock unit will have your car idling like crap.

But don't be bummed. The stock cam is a good one for the stock heads/intake. If your going to do a cam change your best bet is to match it with a new set of heads and an intake and do all three at the same time.

But you still want to do something to add a few extra ponies, right? Here's what you do: Buy a set of 1.6 or 1.7 roller rockers. They'll give you a bit more lift/horsepower and your speed density computer will stay happy. But being that your car is an '88 (how many miles do you have on it?), it probably needs a set of new valve springs. Get some new stock unit.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

Patrick is correct. This was exactly what I did with my '88 GT:

-equal length shorty headers

-1/2 inch intake spacer

-off-raod pipe

-1.7 Cobra Roller Rockers

-new valve springs and pushrods from Summit

-new 190Lp fuel pump

-K&N cone filter

That thing ran nice and like hell!! All of this was done by using the stock cam. The speed density stock cams are very good. Don't be fooled.

Jay

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
fordlvr