Tire Mounting

Is the color dot mark on the tire sidewall have any significance? I thought that the dot was to be lined up with the valve stem so as to better match the rim weight imbalance with the weight imbalance of the tire itself. Asking as I just had new tires installed and the color dot and valve stem relationship appears random.

Reply to
Richard

The coloured dot is sometimes the heaviest spot on the tyre. But usually only means something to the tyre maker. If you are mounting the tyres yourself, try to always have the DOT code closest to the valve facing out wards, unless of course the tyre is directional and to do so would mean having ot rotating the wrong way.

I work in a tyre shop in England, so I know these things. hope this helps.

Cheers,

JohnP.

Reply to
JohnP

I second what John said. My hubby used to work at a tire shop years ago. He told me about the dot and aligning it with the valve stem. He says that theoretically if you do that it should balance with fewer weights.

I have yet to meet anyone at a tire shop here that knows this though, glad to see that John does :) Kate

: > -- : > Richard : >

: > '94 GT 'vert : >

: >

: :

Reply to
Kate

Had them remount the tires. They didn't argue but did suggest that it wouldn't make any difference as balanced is balanced. Weight locations did change but I don't know whether or not the new balance required fewer weights. However, I noticed that one tire required 4 oz to balance and suggested that the tire be replaced as being defective. Again they agreed and ordered a new one.

Reply to
Richard

Sounds like you need a better tire shop! My shops always knew when they balanced tires or performed alignments that 'within specs' wasn't good enough. If they didn't want to work with me to get the correct combination of tires, balance, and alignment I would go somewhere else.

Since I'll have the gator back on the road in a few weeks, I need to see if I can find those alignment specs, in particular. Nowhere near the factory settings, but the suspension isn't factory either.

Arlie

Reply to
Blue Gator