'88 LX headlights not working?

The headlights (low beams) on my '88 LX have suddenly stopped working. The high beams, turn signals, brake lights, etc. all work just no low
beams.
I pulled the bulbs to check the filaments and had to replace one side (which I already knew about). The headlights went before I did this though.
Any ideas?
Thanks, Mike

More than likely the multi-function switch ( turn signal, wiper, high beam) is to blame. Both the high and low beam power runs through this switch and when the contacts for the low beam fail they will not work but high beam will.
TIM -aka- MUSTTANGUY "at" AOL "dot" COM http://www.PonyPerformance.com
Musttanguy wrote:

yeah, that sounds familiar
happened to my girlfriends 96 Mercury Tracer..... about $400 at the dealer
Markansas wrote:

Sounds like you went to the way wrong dealer...

dealer
Not really, I needed to replace the hazzard switch in my 95 tracer. The repair quote was much higher. 300 for the multi function switch, plus the shop labor rate to remove the steering wheel, and the air bag needs disconnected before the wheel comes off... Oh, by the way, we need to allow time for the battery charge to dissipate before we remove the air bag. It should be ready this afternoon.
The tracer hazzard switch is now a small push on/push off where the factory fog light switch was supposed to be. Not factory correct, but functional for a savings of over $400.