89 LX vert seat belt ?

The plastic sheaths that support the buckle (short) side of my seat belts (1989 LX 5.0 convertible) are cracking and breaking apart. This allows the buckle side to fall down between the seat and tunnel thus hard to access. I went to my local ford dealer today to see about a replacement. I was told that the part was not sold and that I would have to purchase the entire seat belt assembly ($225 dollars each side) in order to get that part. Does anyone on the group know of a source for this part or an acceptible substitute? At $550 dollars to replace a simple plastic sheath I will give me seconds thoughts about purchasing a ford in the future. I realize this is a 16 year old car and I probably would run into a similar situation with other automakers however it is at least annoying. I probably could find a part at wrecking yard but it would still be old and the plastic brittle.

Just wanting to vent but would appreciate it if anyone knew a souce for a replacement part. Howard

1989 LX 5.0 vert
Reply to
Howard Nelson

Nevermind. Google is your friend. I found a souce. Here is link in case there are others who need fox body plastic parts.

Howard Nelson

Reply to
Howard Nelson

#HS 39.90 pair

Not too bad.

Ever look arounfd the interior of any other 15 y.o. car?

"wont buy a ford again?"

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Compare your '89 to a car built in 1960. How many total parts are on a

1960 car? 1000? 3000? I dunno, but not too many. Now how many different parts (on the entire car) are on your '89? Probably 7,000? Maybe 10,000? Again, I don't know, but you get the point. Now imagine that you are FoMoCo and you try to inventory ALL those parts.....How are you going to do it? And it gets worse every year. I agree that $550 is a lot to replace your seat belts, but part of that money is used to pay for the high cost of inventory. (And the CEO's salary, of course!) I agree with you completely about the high cost, but put yourself in Ford's shoes for a minute. BTW, it's just as bad with the other manufacturers also. A few years ago I replaced an almost clear lense in an interior light of my '86 Ramcharger. The 1.5" X 2.5" piece of THIN plastic was right at about $7. I was as disgusted as you are. Serves me right for asking to buy it before asking the price of the piece.
Reply to
Kruse

Reply to
cprice

Hi

I need a couple of these plastic seat belt buckle sleeves for my 89. I see sleaves for sale on the net here. How do you get the buckle in the sleeve?

Fred

Reply to
Fred V.

Large Torx bolt on tunnel. Remove and slide old belt through new sleeve.

Howard

Reply to
Howard Nelson