89GT fuel pump options?

My fuel pump went out today. Eventually Id like to do a 347 stroker block but short term Im gonna upgrade heads, intake and cam. Should I get a higher volume fuel pump.?

Reply to
faust_151

Absolutely. Get a 255 lph unit. There is no reason not to replace a broken stock pump with a high flow one. Even if you plan to leave the engine stock.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

ford racing has an in tank replacement high volume 190 gph 40 psi for about $220. I think that would be my choice so i dont have to fab any in tank pickups.

These may be dumb questions but doesnt hurt to ask.: would I have to replace the stock fuel line for increased pressure? with a stock engine and a higher volume pump would have to worry about the injectors? would gas mileage go down?

Michael Johns> > My fuel pump went out today. Eventually Id like to do a 347 stroker

Reply to
faust_151

nope, unless your going for 500 HP

Nope, you have a fuel pressure regulator, keeps the pressure drop constant across injector. The new pump can provide more volume at a given pressure, but the computer regulates the volume by timing the injectors on/off.

no, the gas just recirculates, computer is closed loop, same amount of gas is used.

I had a 255 put in after finding stock pump with an FMU was too lean

Reply to
chumley

The 190 lph is still much better than the stock 88 lph pump. That price seems high though. Check around and I bet you can find it for about half that price.

The stock lines are good for up to 400-450 rwhp unless you are going to install a blower/turbos. With forced induction the effective fuel pressure has to compensate for the increased pressure in the intake tract. Since your mods are based on a NA engine you should be fine using the stock fuel lines.

No. The good thing about having a high flow pump is that you can install larger injectors, if needed, without suffering from pressure drops.

No. The fuel system on a Fox Mustang is a return type. The fuel pressure regulator is what keeps the pressure to specification. Excess fuel gets returned to the tank via a fuel return line by the regulator. Fuel mileage won't be effected because nothing will have changed on you engine that would cause the computer to meter out more fuel.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Top posting is far worse than the question. That is the pump that I have and I can't remember if it came with all the stuff new or if I just put it on the existing assembly, but I didn't buy or fabricate anything different. I do remember it at least had a little plastic strainer thing to replace the old one.

Reply to
WindsorFox