hard clutch

The clutch of my 65 Mustang is very hard. It works fine, but the pressure you have to apply to it makes it impossible for my girl friend to drive it. There is a big spring which connects it to the transmission.

How can I make it easier to press the clutch pedal? I could try and get a different spring which is less tight. Does anybody know if these are available or is there another way to change it?

Thanks!

Reply to
Michel Wets

test it first: i had a lot of experience with 66 mustangs.. i had a

6 cly. three speed and i think there is a spring that returns the clutch PADEL to its original position.. if you talking about this, then just remove the spring and try the clutch... it might be the springs in the clutch pressure plate that is the problem.. if this is the problem it will still be hard to press with the pedal spring off... it you have a V-8 and someone tried to put in a better??? pressure plate with heavier springs on it then you got to pull the transmission off and change out the pressure plate with one that has softer springs in it.... or in my case there was driveline problems and the linkage of the FORK to the throw out bearing are jambing up and this is what makes it hard to push on the clutch.....
Reply to
jim

Hi Jim,

Sorry, forgot to enter that info:

- 3 speed, just been overhauled by previous owner

- V8 289 original engine

Yes, I've seen that spring which returns the clutch pedal to the original position. That's the one I was talking about. It's underneath the car alongside the transmission.

I'll take this spring off and will check it.

Thanks, have a good weekend! Michel

Reply to
Michel Wets

Step One Look up under the dash for a big black spring that is attached to the clutch pedal. This spring helps pull the pedal down to the floor once the pedal moves about 1 inch. It broke on my 66 long ago and the pedal effort went sky high. If you don't have this spring, you can get one from the Mustang places. To replace it you need to disconnect the clutch push rod from the pedal. Then unbolt the pedal stop. This lets the pedal come up high enough that you can just slip the spring on. Push the pedal to the floor(it will stay there) and reinstall the pedal stop. Reconnect the push rod and you are good to go.

If the spring is there, then make sure the linkage is free to move and not all bound up. Especially check the pivot bar under the hood. If all this checks out okay, you can replace the clutch with a diaphragm style clutch and the pedal effort will go way down.

Erich

Reply to
Kathy and Erich Coiner

That's it! this spring is missing. And as I never knew there had to be one I never looked there. Any idea what the name would be for that spring?

Thanks Erich!

Reply to
Michel Wets