93 GT has cracked fan

I was changing the oil in my 1993 Mustang GT with 173,000 miles yesterday when I happened to notice that the plastic radiator fan has a bunch of cracks on the hub all the way around. I'm wondering if the plastic is just old and brittle or did driving the car in -40 degress (air temp, not wind chill) maybe damage it.

How concerned should I be, and how hard is it to change the fan yourself? I lost my job recently and don't want to spend a lot of money.

I dodged a bullet a couple of weeks ago when the pulley on my alternator broke and she threw the serpentine belt. The alternator was a replacement one that had a lifetime warranty and I was able to replace it in the parking lot of an restaurant before it opened. So that didn't cost me anything.

Thanks, Andy Smith

Reply to
Andy Smith

If the fan 'grenades' it may take out your radiator, not to mention other possible damage and leaving you stranded.

It is your call but I would seriously consider replacing it if the cracks look like they are degrading the structural integrity of the fan.

steve

Andy Smith wrote:

Reply to
steve

The fan clutch may also need replaced with that many miles on it.

Reply to
WraithCobra

Fan cracks are a commom problem. Unfortunately, the only fix is to replace it. If you don't replace it, it can come apart and do major damage to the fan shroud, radiator, etc. I believe you can get a new fan from Mustangs Unlimited for approxiamtely $50.

Reply to
Redhotrush10

I discovered the same thing on my 88GT not too long ago. I would not drive with a cracked fan, it could fall apart and damage tons of stuff up front. I have an expensive aluminum radiator so didn't want to risk driving it. I bought a 'flex fan' from autozone for pretty cheap as a temporary replacement. A flex fan does not use a fan clutch, it spins at whatever rpm your engine is running at. I personally think flex fans are shitty replacements (I have heard horror stories about the fan blades flying off and going right through the hood). This will be temporary for me until I can afford a ramchargers electric fan.

I suggest you replace it immediately with a flex fan, another stock plastic fan or aftermarket electric. They are very simple to change and would be outlined in a Haynes or Chiltons repair manual.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Budwill

Mine ('90 5.0) showed cracks when I replaced the water pump at 96,000 miles. My mechanic suggested that the irregular flexing may have caused unbalanced shaft wear leading to the water pump going out after 20,000 miles. Thoughts?

Reply to
Dave Combs

Except for when the fans are new, I've never seen one that wasn't cracked. I doubt the cracking caused the pump problem. Maybe excessive shaft freeplay caused the fan to crack?

----------------- Jim '88 LX 5.0 (now in car heaven) '89 LX 5.0 vert '99 GT 35th Anniversery Edition - Silver Mods to date - Relocated trunk release to drivers side, shortened throttle cable.

Reply to
AZGuy

Thanks for your comments. It didn't make sense to me but it is amazing that freeplay occurred so early. The original pump lasted 75,000 miles but the second only 20,000 unless it was plain bad from the beginning. Is it possible that someone could tighten the serpatine belt too tight?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Combs

Unlikely. It's tightness is from the spring in the tensioner and if anything they are likely to lose tension with age. How is your fluid clutch for the fan? If they lock up or semi-lock up and spin the fan faster then it's supposed to spin that can take out a water pump.

-- Jim '88 LX 5.0 (now in car heaven) '89 LX 5.0 vert '99 GT 35th Anniversery Edition - Silver Mods to date - Relocated trunk release to drivers side, shortened throttle cable, PIAA Driving lights.

Reply to
AZGuy

Hey Andy, ping Tim aka Mustangguy, he does parts at VERY reasonable prices. Sorry oto hear about your job hon. That stinks!

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate