95 Mustang GT Convertible - AirBags, water leak questions

My Mustang leaked water the other day while I was in a drive-in car wash. I was running the AC at the time.

The weird thing was apparently it leaked into the blower fan because water and bubbles came spewing out of the two vents in the center of the dash. Water also dripped down the control panel with the A/C/Vent knobs.

Moments later I got a flashing Air Bags dummy light (uuug!).

It flashes 1 - 2 which I looked up and found that it means battery connection failed. I am assuming that the control module (which is mounted directly behind the AC control panel) must have gotten wet. As per the available instructions online, I tried to reset the air bags dummy light by shorting the 2 pins together in the gray connector found underneath and to the left side of the glove box. But it will not reset.

So, Here is my questions:

  1. Does the blower assembly have a seal that keeps moisture out? Is it easily replaceable?

  1. Does the Air Bags control module have a fuse or breaker between it and it's own battery? Is the battery also mounted behind the AC control panel? Do you think the entire Control Module needs to be replaced?

I'm going to have a new stereo installed this weekend so obviously I'm concerned about getting water dripped onto the new stereo head and I'd really like to make the damn Air Bags dummy light turn off again.

Any suggestions on how to proceed? Clearly I need to get the blower motor sealed up.

One other thing: The pod clock stopped working sometime ago out of the blue. I'm now suspicious that it also stopped working because of a previous water leak.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Regards,

Steve Winslow

Reply to