96 GT wiper problem

The windshield wipers just gave up! Came out to go home from work, turned on the wipers and nothing! The intermittent feature has been working sportily over the last few weeks and now the whole bit is out. High beams and turn signals still work from the lever but just no wipers. Is there some sort of module that can be replaced....................................or anybody have any ideas?

Dave

Reply to
Deputy Dog

Isn't there a dedicated fuse for the wipers? Just a thought, Dick

Reply to
Dick R.

Broken wire in the multi-function switch. It can be disassembled and the little bit of wire replaced. I should have just bought a new one but each time a wire has broken on me I didn't want to live without until I could get an actual ford part so I fixed it... once fixed I forgot about it until the next time ;) Done it three times now.

Reply to
Brent

Any hints/tips on going about it?

Reply to
Deputy Dog

The ignition switch has to come out to get at it. This requires disconnecting the btty and pushing a rod through hole in the trim so it can be pulled out (key in the run position). That's the first tricky part. Once that's out and the trim is off removing the switch is straight forward. When taking it apart just be aware of the small cams and the way the springs are installed. To get the stalk off the body there is a pin that needs to be driven out. If you're not used to working with small spring loaded mechanisms it might turn into a PITA.

Odds are the wire is broken near the connector. Just cut the wire somewhere along the stalk, solder in a new piece. Remove the contact from the connector, get the old wire out as much as possible and put the new wire in. Probably some part of the crimp won't come apart so the new wire will need to be soldered to the remains of the old or the contact.

clean contacts, lube dielectric grease, put it all back together, test the switch circuits. now there is a way to put it together where it will work but not feel right on the turn signals. This means the spring is in the wrong place. it will have to be opened up and put back so its within the stops as I recall. (done that twice ;) )

Actually this is sounding rather complex now that I'm putting it all together... it's just that I've worked on stuff requiring these operations so many times I didn't think of it as special with the switch until I started typing it out. :)

Maybe it is best just to buy a new one ;)

Reply to
Brent

I think i'll jes look for a part# and order it :-) any idea where to find it?

Reply to
Deputy Dog

Hey Brent, I always admire folks like you who know how to do repair stuff, but for the non-tech average consumer, a trip to the local Ford dealer would probably be necessary, and expensive. I'm an older gentleman who still remembers when cars had a windshield wiper fuse that could easily be replaced.

Dick

Reply to
Dick R.

I remember when the windshield wipers were stopping at the top of the sweep in my '75 maverick many years ago. I had to take the dash apart to get to the motor and found that the mounting bolts were simply loose. When the wipers got to the top of the sweep it would lose contact with ground and stop ;)

Just checked on the switch rock auto has an ACDelco version for $50.89 It might be the OEM. I had to replace an evap sensor on my '97 and ordered the delco one and what I got was the same as the original with the ford part # removed...lol.

Reply to
Brent

I've had good luck ordering parts from Team Ford

prices are low enough that I can usually get parts includingshipping for less than my local Ford dealer.

Reply to
me

Replace the switch on mine about 5yrs ago, bad factory grease inside and all the contacts coroded. Found a replacement at either Autozone or Advanced for about $90. There is a control module elsewhere under the dash but I believe its of the wiper delay.

Reply to
George Jetson

reading this again, I am not so sure it's the multi-function switch. Although that is the first place to check. a multi-meter on right contacts will tell if it's out or not without any disassembly. Although once it is out the broken wire will be visible by looking in the pivot where the stalk goes into the body.

Reply to
Brent

The key here I think is that the wipers first started acting up in intermittent mode then that mode fully quit. I then had high and low for a while then nada,nothing.

Dave

Reply to
Deputy Dog