Cobra clutch

Just bought an '03 Cobra. My wife loves it and really wants to learn to drive it, but the clutch is too heavy for her. Is there any way to decrease the amount of force it takes to depress and disengage the clutch in this beast?

Reply to
roliv00

not really. You'de have to modify the clutch, but then it might not be able to handle the power. Only solution I see is... have her work her legs at the gym... :-) I know what you are talking about, my gf can't drive my 03 cobra either. Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying

Reply to
Rein
** I know what you are talking about, my gf can't drive my 03 cobra ** either.

You both act as though this is a bad thing. The last time I allowed a girlfriend to drive my '72 426 Dog, she decided it would be best to park it in a dark alley between my condo and a grocery store, and she didn't even lock the doors. Within hours, it was stolen, stripped and burned to the ground.

Food for thought.

Regards,

-JD

--------------------------------- JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams---------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

---------------------------

I haven't seen one in a while, but... is it at all possible to modify the clutch pedal lever itself to give more leverage? Maybe make it longer, or change the fulcrum point? This will reduce the "action", but there may be a compromise that will work ok. Just an idea.

Reply to
GT-Vert-03

The clutch cable rolls around the edge of a pie shaped segment referred to as the quadrant. I don't know of any way to change the radius (therefore effort) of the quadrant. It it was at all possible, I would think that the reduction in cable travel would leave the clutch so that it wont fully disengage....

You can check here

to seeif these guys can help. I have nothing to do with this company and foundtheir site by Googling "reduce clutch pedal effort".

Jim Warman

Wow what did you do to the girlfriend? (:

Andy

Reply to
Andy Budwill

An outfit named Valeo made a set up for my '93 Cobra called "King Cobra". It required 10-15% LESS pedal pressure than the stock (and most of the after market) clutches. Don't know if they have an application for the '03 version. Here's an example of an after market offering on eBay:

Or, you could try here:
Or, call SVT. I don't have the number handy, but I'm sure someone else could provide it. Good luck

Reply to
stevev

My lovely wife kept wanting to park my 98 cobra convertible at the local grocery store parking lot... Door ding city.

"The cobra is not a truck -- nor a grocery getter. Loading it up like one is abuse!"

Perhaps a stiff clutch would solve that problem.

My sweetheart eventually learned to live with my ding-paranoia, and we got some good exercise walking from the far end of parking lots to where ever we were going.

steve

JD Adams wrote:

Reply to
steve

-----------------------

Another thought... make sure she adjusts the seat as far forward as possible... this will make it easier for her to press the clutch. Also, she should wear good sneakers (not high heels or whatever). When I put my wife in a modified Trans Am one time, she could barely move the clutch... but moving the seat very far forward gave her better leverage, and she was actually able to budge it then. She was able to "stand" on it. After two times around the block, she had enough of it, and that was the last time she ever desired to even try to drive a manual, and that's fine with me.

Reply to
GT-Vert-03

hehe, I'm not complaining at all ! My gf tends to park as close to the door of whatever store/restaurant we go to and she'll take any parking spot no matter how narrow. not me, I'll rather walk a little and get more space to park so I won't get doordings.

so, what did you do with the gf ? Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying

Reply to
Rein

If she must drive the car then she MUST be able to properly control it - That means, not sissy-fying a perfectly good car for a gal that isn't tough enough to handle it.

I agree, have her work up her leg muscles. If the clutch is too much for her, chances are the car will be too.

My hubby makes the payments on MY Cobra, and I rarely let him drive it.

When it comes to your snake, it is NOT nice to share. If a gal isn't a "car person" you are asking for trouble, like the other guys said.

Kate

98 Cobra Drop Top
Reply to
SVTKate

Same as what happened to his car. lol

Reply to
Scott Williams

I hope I wasn't too hard on my lovely wife in my posting about her wanting to use my cobra as a grocery getter. She loves mustangs and I am sure she would never intentionally abuse one. I call it 'my' car but we share things here, and so it was really as much hers and it was mine.

I was a little over protective of my Cobra perhaps, but when I sold it (sobbing) it was nearly flawless, with only a small scratch from some unavoidable road debris encountered on the freeway, and a tiny white spot on the convertible top I got when some nimrod driving a truck had a paint tray fly out going down the road. White latex paint splattered all over my laser red beauty. Thank God for a good wax job -- I took my baby home ASAP and waxed out the paint in about an hour, cussing all the while. I just could never get that itty bitty spot off of the convertible top.

Grocery store parking lots are a killer though! I still remember the day I was sitting in the Cobra in a grocery store parking lot waaaaaay in the back (where I was fairly sure it would be safe). A nice woman returning a cart to one of those 'place cart here' things screwed up, and the shopping cart started rolling very quickly down a slight incline, headed straight for the right-front clip of my car! I never exited that car faster than I did on that day, and I would have cut that cart off at the pass if the lady hadn't gotten to it first. She took one look at my eyes which were bugging out when I saw the cart, and realized that she better do something!

Ever see the commercial where the guy tackles the shopping cart that is headed in the direction of his parked car? That would have been me that day!

steve

SVTKate wrote:

Reply to
steve
** Wow what did you do to the girlfriend? (:

About 1/100th of what I wanted to do; I settled for kicking her to the curb.

Regards,

-JD

--------------------------------- JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams---------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams
** My lovely wife kept wanting to park my 98 cobra convertible at the local ** grocery store parking lot... Door ding city. ** ** "The cobra is not a truck -- nor a grocery getter. Loading it up like ** one is abuse!" ** ** Perhaps a stiff clutch would solve that problem. ** ** My sweetheart eventually learned to live with my ding-paranoia, and we ** got some good exercise walking from the far end of parking lots to where ** ever we were going.

There you go! The car is protected, and with all that walking, the view while politely walking behind the lovely wife can only get better.

Regards,

-JD

--------------------------------- JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams---------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams
** so, what did you do with the gf ?

Heh, I thought about the whole thing for about 3 milliseconds before deciding she wasn't a keeper. I spent 7 years building that thing, and she just wasn't worth it.

Regards,

-JD

--------------------------------- JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams---------------------------------

Reply to