98 GT

Hi all,

My rear end was starting to go and I thought if I was going to put a new one in I would do it right. My only problem is I did not know what was right. After speaking with some friends at work and vesting a few local shops I ended up putting in an all new rear end (this is what I wanted anyway). 3:90 gear ratio, Edin(??) carrier, 31 spine.... not exactly sure what else he did but I am very comfortable with the shop and the owner. My other request since I had a little extra cash was a chip. He put in the latest Superchip. I asked him what it was and what it did. Maybe I was not listening as intently as I should have or he was just talking over my head. The only things I remember are that this new chip controls four banks instead of two, it plugs into the diagnostic port of the main computer and it will sharpen the shifting in the transmission. Unfortunately the chip was bad and had to be returned.

Can anyone explain or point me to a web site that explains this chip? What does this do to my gas mileage? Would this be a "1300 Blue Flip chip Module"? I was under the impression that a chip would help keep the gas mileage about the same as it was with the stock gear ratio.

Thanks,

Bill S

Reply to
Bill S

Vesting??? I think I meant visiting. Damn spell check.

[...]

Hi Bill.

First of all, a quick suggestion. It would be very helpful to all of us here at RAMFM if you picked a slightly different moniker for your RAMFM identity. There's already a Bill S that's been around here since the inception of this newsgroup. Perhaps "Bill 98" or something along those lines would work.

OK, on to the 98 stuff. Sounds like your guy took pretty good care of you on the new rear. A 31 spline Eaton setup is very cool and actually kind of overkill but it darn sure oughta be bullet-proof unless you really go hog-wild with the motor.

There are several things you can do with a chip in a 98, most importantly you can alter the shifting in the AODE tranny. On ething you can't do however is fix the speedo, you'll need a SpeedCal to do that trick. The combination of the SpeedCal and the chip will definitely set things straight with regard to the shifting, speedo / odo, and cruise control. You can also control fuel/air curves and timing at different points in the throttle. There's really not much to gain in that department on an otherwise-stock 98 but getting the shifting right is definitely worth it. Most (including me) will tell you that the best bang-for-the-buck mod for the 96-98 GT's is a 99-up headswap.

Good Luck!

1998 GT Coupe 5-spd. Bright Atlantic Blue K&N FIPK, Tri-Ax, 3.73's, FRPP Coated Shorties, SpeedCal, P&P 2K Heads, 2K Intake, Bassani X-Pipe, Bassani Cat-Back, Subframe Connectors, JMS Chip, GMS MAF, Accufab Throttle Body, Eagle Alloy Wheels
NObluestang98