99 Mustang hard starting

I have a 99 V6 mustang and it has been hard to get it started since about 2 weeks now. Normal starting was just turn the key and not pressing the gas pedal. Now, if it does not start I have to hold the pedal to the floor while cranking for about 10 seconds or more. It will finally cough and sputter to life then. This is only when it is left over night. Once it is started, it runs fine all day long and starts normally.

Any ideas as to what the problem is? Car is all original and has 226,000 kilometers on it.

Thanks Don

-- Message posted using

information at

DonTraboulsee

In order of possibilities;

bad gas (water in gas (add a pint of Ethanol) fill up with 93 octane from a good station for a while)

change fuel filter.

your air idle bypass may need cleaning (gets full of crud, carburetor cleaner takes it out)

Read your plugs too. could have a cold one, full of oil/black stuff

Reply to
Mike Fleagle

Chances are this is not your problem but when my 99 went from starting right up to acting like yours I took it back to the dealer under warranty. They replaced a cam position sensor the first time.. that didn't fix it, the second time I brought it back they replaced some connection...that didn't fix it, the third time they replaced the alternator... that fixed it. Somehow a bad diode in the alternator was making it hard to start.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Well, finally have it figured out. I think it was a bad tank of gas. I ran it down to almost empty and refilled it the 2 days ago, and the problem has gone away. Starts much better now. Once I have time I will change the fuel filter just to be sure.

Don

-- Message posted using

information at

DonTraboulsee