Re: Group opinion - New GTO

Here is the link to the comparison picture.

Any chance you can get your down payment back??????

Reply to
Keith Stelter

Keith, if you can't pick out the GTO at a glance in that picture, either your eyesight is failing or you don't know your cars really well. I hadn't read your first post before I hit the link in your second post and I thought "Wow, the GTO makes those econoboxes look pathetic." The only commonality is the color of some of them. The GTO looks some sweet.

If you want to buy a car that doesn't lose money the minute you drive it off the lot, stop looking now! It doesn't exist. We all have varied tastes in cars Keith, but I would choose the new GTO in a Heartbeat over your '68 model. In my opinion, the new GTO is the first great looking GTO since the '67 model. I wouldn't give you a dime for for anything after the '67 until now.

Reply to
Sting Ray

About time somebody talked some sense.

Haven't we had this argument a hundred times on here? :-)

Nick.

Reply to
Nick Trounson

Hi Nick! You're right, some people keep living in the past and refuse to acknowledge that cars like the new GTO not only look sweet, but would run circles around their older muscle cars. I have a mid-60's Vette that I love, but I know its limitations. Today's performance cars outdo it in just about every category, except arguably its looks. And looks are completely subjective. Hell, some people think Barbara Walters is attractive! Not!

Reply to
Sting Ray

Don't even bother trying to reason with these guys. They probably thought that the mid 70's "Ventura" GTO's were cool, modernized GTO's also. I don't disagree that the new, technologically advanced cars can go faster and handle better than the old muscle cars. Every test will show that to be true. But let's both go to a drive in on a Saturday night, them in their brand new GTO and me in my slow, technologically obsolete 68 GTO convertible and we'll see which one is more popular. Mine is also worth about 5 times more than it cost new. Does anyone REALLY think that a new GTO will have the same increase in value after 35 years? Sorry to insult Aussie pride but the Manaro GTO is just another "world market" looking car that will EASILY be mistaken for a low dollar econo cruiser at anything over 5 MPH.

Reply to
Keith Stelter

You've hit it on the head. For that money I'd rather buy a new Chrysler Crossfire. Now THAT car stands out in a crowd. While the new goat looks ok, it doesn't scream fast, fun, or GOAT! at me.

Reply to
FBR

You have got to be kidding. The new GTO can run circles around a Crossfire. Worse yet, the Crossfire is ugly. It has a hunchbacked appearance. Give me a new GTO any day. Speaking of which, are they going to sell it in Canada or not?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Blazanovic

Lets see... Pontiac wants a 4 seater 2 door sports car now.... Hmmmm they had one... What was that one thing called? Oh yeah A FIREBIRD!!! WTF were they thinking!!! Oh I know, they were thinking "we're not turning a big enough profit off of this canadian built firebird. I know lets rebadge the Holden Monaro with the name GTO and mark it way up in value because people love those 3 letters so much." Nick $40k US may not seem a lot to you because you're not on the same money system but when you can get a corvette for roughly the same price......See where the GTO is a rip? The Firebird used to top off around 32k and it had the same engine as the new GTO. Not only that but the firebirds last body style was wicked as hell. Something you DO NOT GET with the new GTO. The new GTO was a long wait for a big disappointment. The styling DOES NOT match the price one freak'n bit. You keep howling about the performance but hey...that can be had easily and was easily had for 30k instead of the additional 10k they tacked onto a dull vehicle. I say the people that bought the last Firebird WS6's got one hell of a deal compaired to the upcoming GTO buyers.

In article , snipped-for-privacy@SPAM.yahoo.com says...

Reply to
Bonnevilles R Kewl

Agreed. GW

Bonnevilles R Kewl wrote: (to Nick)

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

What are you talking about? The Crossfire is a V6 coupe. The GTO is 350 horses. Like I said before, the GTO will run circles around it.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Blazanovic

The new GTO is just another jellybean in the car lot. It has the performance of the original GTO's but not the looks. Bob Lutz claims its made for a new generation of buyers. Last time I checked the majority of people that can afford to spend $35,000(!) on a sports car to use on nice days is baby boomers that owned REAL GTO's back in the 60's and 70's...

Oh well, GM will still sell all of the 18,000 units(which is pathetic) so they can say its a success.

Reply to
Dennis Smith

The Consumer Guide magazine on 2004 cars I think said the Crossfire will have 219 HP & 229 Torque, or something there about.

Reply to
Harry Face

Dennis Smith is a Baby Boombers Baby born around Circa 1981.

Reply to
Harry Face

You're right to a degree, but remember that the local purists weren't happy about the new Monaro either (no hood scoops, no shark-like gills etc), but now that they can gaze at and touch the new model they have grown to accept it.

Yes GM have pulled a stupid trick by NOT using some of the old design cues but no GM have not disowned you all. This car will fwap an old GTO for everything BUT looks.

Image is nothing. Power is everything. :-)

Nick.

Reply to
Nick Trounson

Keith, you seemed to have verified my earlier suspicion that "either your eyesight is failing or you don't know your cars really well." It appears that your eyesight is the problem. You seem to have missed my comment that taste in cars is really subjective and that "In my opinion, the new GTO is the first great looking GTO since the '67 model. I wouldn't give you a dime for for anything after the '67 until now." Methinks that would exclude the

70's "Ventura" GTO.

Or let's take a '67 GTO convertible to the drive-in on a Saturday night and park it alongside your '68 and see which one is more popular. As I said, taste in cars is purely subjective and I personally place the '68 in the same category as a 70's "Ventura" GTO.

Keith, using your own rationale, my mid-sixties Vette has increased in value more than ten-fold, but does that make it a better car than your '68 Goat? Nope! As I said earlier and as you apparently failed to see: "If you want to buy a car that doesn't lose money the minute you drive it off the lot, stop looking now! It doesn't exist." Keith, no one buys a new car expecting it to have the same value after 35 years. If you were that intuitive Keith, you'd have a whole stable of 60's GTO's!

It can only "EASILY be mistaken for a low dollar econo cruiser at anything over 5 MPH." if your eyesight is poor Keith.

Reply to
Sting Ray

FBR, that must be some heavy medication you're on. The Chrysler website says that the Crossfire has a supercharged 2.7 liter V6 with 275 Horsepower and

270 lb.-ft. of torque. That's hardly what I'd call musclecar status? Unless of course, in your part of Virginia, you think the Grand Am is a musclecar! *lol* Check out this link and see for yourself:

Sting Ray

Reply to
VetteMan

Now, now... I own a 67 convertible, and am about to restore a 64. I absolutely LOVE the looks of my early goats, but the later ones are as nice, just different. I never drove the 74 and was never a fan of the X body in general, so my opinion that the GTO really ended in 73 is arguable at best. My reason is the 74 didn't meet my minimum performance levels for the GTO name. The new GTO does meet those requirements. Even if it is somewhat 'subtle', it supposedly is a great handler with superior acceleration.

1967 are cool. Sad really.

St

Reply to
Joseph Roche

The '67 and '64 goats are two of my very favorites Joseph. Those are two sweet rides you own! While the 68-72 GTO's were faster than your '67, I much prefer the styling of your '67 and '64. Again, taste in vehicles is completely subjective and the owners of 68-72 models simply have different tastes. It would be pretty boring if we all liked the same vintage wine and the same goes for cars. The main point here is that we all restore and preserve the cars of our dreams/youth and it is our nostalgia that keeps the hobby alive. Having said that, I think that a lot of us appreciate when any of the car companies bring out a legitimate new "muscle car", so today's consumer can experience the same exhilaration we feel driving our old classics. Some people will never know the thrill of driving a mid-sixties muscle car, but they will always remember the day they bought their '04 GTO.

This is the car they will tell their grandkids about.

Reply to
Sting Ray

There is no comparison of a 68 GTO and a mid 70s Ventura GTO, by the time the Ventura GTO came about emmissions had taken over, the gas crisis had just about hit and US manufacturers were scrambling rebadging cars with different nameplates, for intance the ventura GTO was nothing more than a gussied up chevy nova with an emmission restricted 350 engine.

Reply to
Lucipher