A Next GTO Now In Doubt?

GM is hurting, folks. Seems development dollars are at a premium at the world's largest automaker. After a few years of giving the opponents angles (like a boxer), with the successful resurgance of Cadillac and the hot 'Vette, it appears GM is now just backing up and fighting off the ropes. Hopefully GM can counter a little with that new Pontiac 2-seater soon to debut, because GM needs to stay in the fight!

And no one be happy, if the GTO get canceled. While its styling is everything everyone hoped for, the car is sweet mechanically. It would be a shame to lose yet another RWD American performance car.

Reply to
NoOption5L

Another Fiero?

Reply to
RichA

RichA wrote in news:6otu31hn4okbhhi9i4nu5bvrqkse86lha3 @4ax.com:

No, it's a Miata killer. For $20k it's pretty neat.

Joe

You haven't seen it...? It's far from a Fiero.

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L

Make that a RWD AUSTRALIAN performance car, and an aging one at that. GM did the GTO on the cheap and now they are paying for it. They should have developed a proper RWD platform and then based the Goat and many other GM models on it. Now they are screwed and have no one to blame but themselves. You think they would have learned from the Camaro that just because you throw a killer engine/transmission into a mediocre, dated chassis and charge a high price for it doesn't make for great sales numbers. We're lucky Ford updated the Mustang or it was headed to the same happy hunting ground where the Camaro is parked.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 20:38:30 -0500, RichA wrote something wonderfully witty:

I loved my Fiero. A regular blast to drive once you realized one should never slam on the brakes on a rear-engine car in the rain. WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Reply to
ZombyWoof

On 21 Mar 2005 10:37:58 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote something wonderfully witty:

It wouldn't be the loss of an American performance car.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 20:38:30 -0500, RichA wrote something wonderfully witty:

Not quite

ZombyWoof

"Part BWM Z3, part Porche Boxter, part PONTIAC!" "It's the Boxontiac Z3!"

I'm sure it will do very well, it's definitely a niche market car.

-Rich

Reply to
RichA

Whatever it is, the reports of it are as scintillating as always.

Reply to
Wound Up

LOL!! WHEEEEE lol.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

Reply to
<memset

Hey Patrick, I miss when your "from" line used to say Patrick.

For reasons I choose only to disclose to the cat.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

I think it may be viewed like the Miata. A Chick car.

It's a cute little car I suppose, if you're into that kind of thing.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

"Michael Johnson, PE" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

They were supposed to with the Zeta platform, but I guess not now...

Indeed. But Ford better be careful - the Mustang isn't enough to save an entire company.

Joe

IMO they had better go with it quick. They will lose another chuck of market share if they don't offer an affordable, medium size RWD sedan, as will Ford.

I don't think either company is in imminent danger of going under. It is just a slow slide into obscurity at this point. Or they could eventually be bought by a foreign auto maker. I can see why GM is losing market share but Ford had made some very nice cars (many under the SVT badge) the past several years. To me, it doesn't make sense for them to have such slow sales and low profitability.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

GM's problem is not about whether it has a new "premium" rear drive platform or not. Honda and Toyota have no rear-drive sedans, yet the

25% market share that's missing from GM's former 50% has mostly gone to those brands. GM's problem is that it's a stranger in its own country. Anyone younger than 30 has little to no experience growing up with GM products. So GM has to start from scratch with that age group, with desireable new CARS.

That's what's most disappointing about this news story, is that GM is once again retreating from a market segment. Now the segment is CARS as a whole. The development dollars are going into trucks, SUV's, and more trucks. With Toyota and Nissan already selling full-size trucks and SUV's, and even Honda getting into the game, the retreat into the trucks/SUV fortress will be yet another Alamo.

180 Out
Reply to
one80out

"Michael Johnson, PE" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

RWD is great, but I'm not sure that the general public is going to demand it. FWD Hondas and Toyotas are still selling like hotcakes. Ford's and GM's offerings are just weak.

Agreed. But remember AMC?

As was pointed out in the other thread, GM's major problems are the UAW and the fact that they have too many lackluster product lines. GM needs to consolidate, downsize, and get the UAW in line if they want to be a force to be reckoned with.

Joe

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:1111510171.710999.172850 @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

Agreed, except that DC is getting their cut as well.

growing

trucks

As I just replied to Michael, I think GM's problems are (a) too many lackluster product lines, and (b) the UAW.

Joe

I have an 86 Fiero GT with 42,000 original miles. Lots of fun to drive. Honestly thinking of selling it however as I have 3 rides all registered and insured.

Martin

2002GT 5spd. 86 Fiero GT 98 Ranger
Reply to
Martin

Many of the upper end Japanese car are RWD too. They have figured out that FWD has become a liability due to increasing hp/torque levels making it unfeasible. I can't see why GM (and Ford to a lesser extent) hasn't done the same. I think the performance benefits of RWD have eclipsed its liabilities. Especially with the advent of traction control, stability programs etc.

Although AMC wasn't near the size of Ford or GM. Chrysler was close to the edge though.

I think GM's, Ford's (to a lesser extent) and UAW's management are in collaboration with each other to keep promoting the status quo. They have been and still are riding the gravy train at the expense of the workers and lower level managers. It will be curious to see how long the union members and stock holders let this continue. If they wait too long to change things then life as they know it will end.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE