Advice needed : Kenne Bell blower & fuel pump size.

I've decided to take the plunge & buy the basic 6psi Kenne Bell blower for my '92 GT convertible, but I've been receiving conflicting information with regard to fuel pump upgrades.

Kenne Bell's site states that a fuel pump upgrade is not necessary. The Boost-a-pump (which I will be installing) together with the FMU will provide sufficient fuel through the stock 19lb injectors for the

6psi unit. In their own words "We don't use or advocate larger "in tank" or "in line" fuel pumps" as they heat the fuel through the re-circulation process. "

My local speed shop, however, is recommending a 255 lph. I like the idea of the Boost-a-pump providing additional fuel during boost.

The car is a my daily driver, and has never seen a track, and probably never will.

To those who have the KB, what pump did you end up using ?

Thanks, Barry PS Engine is stock, except for FMS shorty headers.

Reply to
barrynk

The boost a pump works by increasing voltage to whatever fuel pump you have increasing its capacity. This makes the pump work harder than designed IMO. Yes it is a proven system. I personally think a fuel pump upgrade is a superb idea. I'd get a 190 or a 255 in your case. Either should do. The

255 leaves room to grow and you will want more power later anyway.

If you don't upgrade the fuel pump and you get a lean hickup once, you could blow an engine. With a bigger fuel pump, the chances of that happening drop significantly.

AnthonyS

Reply to
Anthony S

Its usually a good idea to follow the manufacturer's recommendations.. the folks at KB know what they are doing. If you have questions specific to your install, I'd be asking KB, not the speed shop. They may be used to using Vortec, Procharger, etc, and not be familiar with the requirements for the KB unit. Be sure to get a good tune and make sure all the other drivetrain components can handle the additional power.

I'm curious why you'd be adding that much power to a car that you don't plan to race. That's alot of $$$ for a simple daily driver.

Reply to
Mustang_66

Good to see there will be another KB blown 5.0L here. I would recommend using a 255 lph in-tank pump. It will deliver enough fuel to support

500 hp and is much more reliable than over-driving (this is essentially what the BAP does) the stock 88 lph pump. KB wants to sell you their part and they don't make any money if you buy a 255 lph pump.

You should put the car on a dyno after the blower is installed and log the air/fuel ratio to make sure you're not running lean. You might exceed the stock MAF's capacity and/or fuel delivery might not be right. Running lean with a supercharged engine is a recipe for blown head gaskets or worse. It's money well spent.

You're go>I've decided to take the plunge & buy the basic 6psi Kenne Bell blower

Reply to
Michael Johnson, P.E.

Actually, I've come to learn that most of the manufacturers don't know much when it comes to modifying cars. Kenne Bell has given me advice that I know was wrong. Good speed shops are on the front lines when it comes to making things work and most know more about what makes cars run right than the people making the parts.

Here's an example to back up my point. I started running water injection three years ago and I called KB for their input. They told me I was wasting my time because it doesn't work. Well I thought they were wrong and did it anyway. I ran 16 psi with a JMS chip burned for when I ran 8 psi using only water injection for cooling. Now KB recommends it after they saw people using it successfully. In fact they used to advertise their own water injection kit!

Reply to
Michael Johnson, P.E.

This is probably the best advice. Check air/fuel mixture will potentially prevent a lot of damage later. check out dynoperformance.com and see all the charts. besides a hp and torque chart they always have a air/fuel ratio chart. It's requried. I'd go with the bigger pump also.

Rein