What to beef up in prep for blower?

Hello to all. I'm once again toying with the idea of installing a supercharger on my

90 GT. It has about 94,500 original miles. I've already upgraded most of the ordinary things, such as intake, fuel pump, and about a year ago I put on Edelbrock aluminum heads and higher injectors. The blower I want is the Powerdyne 9lb kit, and since this is their more powerful unit, I'm wondering what things I should address in my engine to hold up from the extra power. The shop that did the install used the supplied Edelbrock internals for the heads, but I chose to change my pushrods to Trickflow titanium. My cam is stock but I'm using Crane 1.7 rockers. My transmission is AOD, and I've had a shift kit and aux. fluid cooler on it for many years. I also plan to replace the torque converter with a stronger one with slightly higher stall. This car is only for cruising. I don't race it, but would like to have the extra power so I'm not left behind. Thanks for any recommendations, and one more thing.... Anyone know a reputable place that sells superchargers for very good prices?

Randy

90 GT

We're living in a world that's been pulled over our eyes to blind us from the truth. Where are you, white rabbit?

randy pavatte

IMO, the most important upgrades are to the fuel system. If it can't deliver enough fuel then you're going to run lean under boost and break parts. I suggest getting 42# fuel injectors and a high pressure 255 lph in-tank fuel pump and skip using an FMU. An after market ignition/coil like an MSD 6AL/Blaster coil would be another upgrade to consider. One last item is to put the car on a dyno and have a chip burned on the spot based on the data collected. This is the best way to get the safest tune and the most hp.

You mention that you're going to buy a Powerdyne. If reliability is important to you then you may want to consider another brand. they don't have a very good reputation. Their blowers (except for the their very latest model) use a belt inside the supercharger to drive the impeller. It has a habit of breaking and I've seen nothing but complaints about these models. You might want to consider a Vortech or Paxton. They both offer budget blowers in Powerdyne's price ranges.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

All very good advice, but you may also want to check out the procharger P1-SC. The kit for the mustang comes with everything needed and also an intercooler, which I think is a big plus. The only thing about the procharger is that it comes with an FMU, not bigger injectors. It does come with an external fuel pump as well. IMO, it is a very nice kit. It is also self contained which means you don't have to tap into the oil pan. As stated, I wouldn't go with the powerdyne if you want something reliable. Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

I've seen allot of P1SC owners complain about seal failures. Maybe ATI has fixed the problem.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE