Agh! Compressor was KIA

I don't know if you guys remember, but i have this old, beastly

2motor, 2pump compressor.. well.. one motor stopped working.. so i opened the junction box (where the 240 comes in, and splits for the two motors.. also has a switch that the pressure switch controls), and the wire had melted, and turned green and broke off!.. tried to unscrew the terminal that it goes into, but that was TOTALLY seized (fused and welded in from the 'short circuit', and snapped the whole junction box! What would have caused that.. the motor isn't original, and it's a HUGE old school 2hp (instead of 1.5), but it's the same specs otherwise).. i'm screwed now.. WHere am I going to find a junction box for a 2motor compressor? Must have had 1hour of continous run time on it.. Surely the extra .5hp wouldn't have caused the wire meltdown? didn't trip the breaker either..

What if, on the pressure switch, i hook it up as normal for one motor, but under each Motor terminal just put the wires for both motors? seems like a bad idea to me though.. especially since it's a shitty little

29.99 switch.
Reply to
Johnny K

I'm NO electrical expert but I'm pretty good at fire cause. It sounds like a possible floating neutral. It can be caused by a loose connection and results in a high resistance condition causing the wire to overheat. Have investigated several structure fires where this was the fire cause, even found this problem in MY breaker panel. The wire I found in my panel looked like you described.

bill

64.5: 260, 3 sp, a/c, SVO cam, Performer, Holley 390, Pertronix, Hi-Po exhaust, 1.5" front & 1" rear drop, Jacobs wires, Torq D's

66: '93 5.0, C4, a/c, ps, Performer RPM, Holley 600, Pertronix, bench seat

Colt SP1,Sig P220, Moss. 590A1, Marlin 70P

Reply to
bill

Jesus Christ, buy a freakin' plug! That's a good way to get yourself shocked. I don't think it's the cause of your problem but it could leave you flat on your back dazed and cornfused!