Another Reason To Own A Mustang

NoOp wrote in news:7207a2d3-1d51-44e7-846d- snipped-for-privacy@f42g2000yqn.googlegroups.com:

In Canada:

2011 GT: $40,000.at 7% over five years, $48,000/$9600.00 Not including taxes, gas consumption fee, etc. Insurance in a city: $3000. Gas: $3000.00 (roughly) Maintenance: $500.00 Misc: $150/yr

$17,000 or so per year.

However, if you buy collector car ins. you can cut the insurance cost to

1/10th of normal.
Reply to
Rich

All of this seems to assume that you keep the car only as long as the loan is in effect.

TFrog and I have just celebrated 17 years together. Spreading the initial cost of the car (>$17K) and all other related expenses over that time span reduces the annual cost of ownership greatly. So that's the key - buy the car and just hold onto it. Trading in every four years is a financial killer.

:()

Reply to
dwight

My 2000 GT was $22,000. Gas for the last 10 years, about $8,000, Insurance, about $8,000. Total-$3800 per year.

Reply to
GILL

"Collector car insurance"?

I am sure that there might be some codicils to that kind of deal.... Or are you suggesting that telling lies is the new morality?

Reply to
Jim Warman

I recently called my insurance agent about getting collector car insurance on my 1984 Mercury Capri RS 5.0 (stored winters, driven

Reply to
dickr2

Wow. You've had NO repairs done to the car in 10 years? That's impressive. And original tires, too? Brakes? Or do you just not drive the thing?

I've spent anywhere from $500 to $2,000 every year, just to keep the Frogs on the road.

dwight

dwight

I do my own oil and maint. I put a set of $800.00 tires after chewing up the Goodyears during a few AutoX and open Coarses. It has 39K miles on it.

I didn't count the 25K spent on mods. :)

Reply to
Gill

There is a difference between "repair" and "maintenance".

Consider parts regarded as "sacrificial"... These would include any and all "normal wear" parts.... including brake pads and rotors, ball joints, tie rod ends, tires... care to keep on going?

Maintenance is something you do to avoid costly repairs (sounds like a conumdrum - don't it?). Maintenance is something we do when it is convenient. Repairs are something we do when we should be somewhere else doing something else.

When something is broken - we repair it. When something is worn out, we have neglected proper maintenance.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Thanks, Jim, and agreed. But I would expect a 10-year-old car to need SOME sort of repairs over its lifetime. I know that Mustangs are magic cars, but things still break from time to time.

But... if an alternator wears out, is that a repair or neglected maintenance? Perhaps it's just a sacrifice. No matter whether it's a repair or maintenance, owning a car is never "free." I expect the unexpected (parts break or crap out), and try to pay attention to the periodic maintenance needs of the cars, and hope that the next failure won't be a truly expensive one. Nothing makes me think about trading them in like a costly inspection period.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

GILL wrote in news:i5tips$7t3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

When Ford was selling the Mach-1 in Canada (when I bought mine) their Red Carpet Lease (for those who went with it) stood at 13.75% interest. Mind-bending, isn't it?

Reply to
Rich