AntiLock Brake Conversion

I have an opportunity to get a complete wrecked 95 gt with 4 wheel antilock brakes and 4 wheel 5 lug disc brake setup.

I would like it for the simple fact of 5 lug and 4 wheel disc brakes, however has anyone ever transferred the antilock brake assembly to an older mustang gt like my 85?

Anyone have any links?

David

Reply to
Mustang GT

The 4WABs conversion is going to be a very enthusiastic project...... not undoable, but definitely a possible 10 on the frustration factor scale..... Everything right down to the plumbing will have to be changed (not to mention the wiring which will need to retain the twist for RFI reasons). Add in the need to find a place to put the hydraulic unit.... the master cylinder mounting.... dare I say liability if something goes amiss. if you decide to go ahead, record the process for those that may follow and good luck.

Jim Warman

Why in the hell would you want it? ABS stands for A Bunch of Sh... . in my book. Unless you try and drive your stang in snow and ice (which you should be slapped for doing anyway) there is no need for it. All it will do is give you more headaches. I have it on my 95 GT so I should know.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

Well, I don't get to choose what the weather is like. ABS is good in the dry as well. I find your position untenable as I don't see how it adversely effects ones car in any substantive way.

Reply to
Jim S.

Wait till you get a repair bill for that crap. :) My Bronco/Explorer, and Mustang have all needed the main abs unit replaced at any where from $1500-$2000 each just for the parts. Needless to say they never got it.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

I don't know about the ABS system on the Bronco or Explorer, but the Mustang ABS system is about as cheap and simple as you can get, I don't see how such a high repair bill is possible. For the application Mustang GT is concerned with, if he were to replace the ABS unit himself, he can pickup a ABS unit for about $50. Depending on where he chooses to mount it, replacement would take about half an hour. Five brake fittings, two bolts and and two electrical connectors. As for the wheel sensors, replacing the rings is a bit more work, but the parts cost a negligible amount. One could find a used Cobra IRS and put that in for less than what the repair shop quoted you.

Jim S.

"MadDAWG" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

Reply to
Jim S.

Say what? The rear pickup sensors are $75-80 each.

Still if I had a choice there is no way I'd willing put/have ABS on a car. Cars were just fine for years without it. If anything people think they are safer because of such things and drive much worse because they believe these features make it ok to do so. Not to mention as soon as anything is changed from the stock specs the ABS systems usally go all crazy.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

Failure of the main unit is a rare occurance. And even if it did fail who says you have to buy factory-new parts?

Reply to
Mick

Well, I have heard people say that they think ABS makes your car stop faster, and hence can drive in a more reckless manner. I agree with you, this is insane and stupid. However, Having the enhanced control due to the wheels not locking up during heavy braking is a very positive benefit. This is especially true for the average driver in poor weather conditions.

As Mick points out, why buy new stuff from Ford?

Mustang Parts Specialties quoted me a price somewhere around $50 for an ABS unit. I picked one up for $40 from a guy parting out a Mustang on eBay.

Take a look at this -

Jim S.

I'm three for three. Bronco/Explorer/Mustang. As for buying factory parts I didn't. As for buying used at the failure rate I'm seeing I don't think that would be a wise choice either. Maybe I'm just unlucky or maybe there is something to parking them for extended periods of time, but either way ABS has been nothing but a PITA for me, and I'll avoid it when ever I can.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

I too have ABS with 13" Cobra brakes on our 91 convertible. The use of the SN95 parts makes the swap pretty simple. I have the wiring diagram from our conversion in the "TECHNICAL" section of my website (see below)

TIM -aka- snipped-for-privacy@AOL.COM

Musttanguy