Anyone with a 99+ 4.6 auto Stang?

I'm looking at a 99 GT 35th anniversary Mustang. I don't know jack about the 4.6 engine. To make things "worse" its an automatic. I have a few questions for anyone that owns one.

I know it won't be a rocket ship, but how are they performance wise?

About what should it run in the 1/4 mile? 15,14,13s?

Doesn't the 4.6 automatics have a 2.84 first gear ratio vs. the 2.40 of the

302 cars?

Also don't the 99+ cars all come with 3.55 gears?

How many miles is a 4.6 engine good for?

I guess what I'm wondering is if it will even spin a tire. If the car was a stick I'd probably be all set, but the automatic scares me a little. Although the automatic will be nice for everyday use.

TIA MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

Well I don't have an auto... and I can't speak for how it'll run on teh track.. but I've got a 98 Mustang GT and have taken on a late-model automatic GT w/ 3.73 gears (he shoulda went w/ 4.10, imho) & beat him. I forgot what year... and all I've done to my car is a Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, CAI, and a tune-up (ignition wires, plugs, filters, etc)... I didn't beat him BAD... but I beat him. Some late-model 5-speed GT's can beat me though. My car has 107k miles on it & the ENGINE runs like new still... but it's been spoiled with Mobil 1 full synthetic motor oil since 80k miles... I bought it with 50k miles. Learned a lot since I've had this car. I personally think that if you want a stick then you should get a stick... I wouldn't take the automatic.. but that's just my opinion. Automatics sorta take the fun outta it for me. Good luck though deciding =). I'm sure it's a nice car!

-Mike

98 Mustang GT
Reply to
<memset

the automatic doesn't scare me to bad. My 95 was originally an AODE, and I loved it the track because it was so darn consistent. I converted my 95 to a t5 this spring when the AODE took a dump, and while it can be fun on the open road, its a PITA on the way to and from work now that its construction season (summer has been renamed construction here in Michigan). I do think the guy that has the 99 wanted a stick and that's why he is looking to trade.

What was you 98 rated at HP wise? I thought the 96-98 cars were rated at 215 and then the 99+ got new heads and intake that brought them up to 260 hp. If I sold all my old push rod parts I wouldn't be aganst putting a PI converter in the car to get it off the line which is probably where the weak point of an auto would be.

thanks MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

I believe it's 94-97 are 215, my 98 is 225. It *could* be 96-97 are 215.. but I know 98's are 225 (comp change I believe).

260hp auto = roughly 208rwhp 225hp man = roughly 196rwhp 12rwhp difference.

Both have curb weight of 3,278lbs. Now 260hp man = roughly 226rwhp.. a lot more fun =). Ppl around here just can't shift worth anything... or drive either.

-Mike

construction

Reply to
<memset

94-95 were 5.0/302s, so that's a different animal.

Thats cool that the 98 is rated a little better. I was getting a little worrried. lol

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

Yeah I'm aware they're 302's... but they're still 215hp (I just looked both

94 & 95 models up). Curb weight for 94 is 3,258 Curb weight for 95 is 3,280

17/24mpg for 94

17/25mph for 95

Both are 215hp =). 94-97 = 215hp. 98 = 225hp.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset