Restoring a '74 99 LE - Is there a good parts catalog out there? (in U.S. or Australia)

I moved to Australia (2 hours south of Sydney) two years ago from the U.S. (Wisconsin). I've owned a few classic cars before (two '65 Chevy Corvair and a few mid-70s camaros), but I gave them up when I moved here. Now, my wife and I share a car to get places (Nissan Pathfinder), but I DID find a

1974 Saab 99 LE for $250.00 (AU) six months ago that I'd like to restore (a do-it-yourself project for the most part, but I'll let the professionals complete the tasks that I cannot).

Now, bearing in mind that I'm not a mechanic or expert, just a smart do-it- yourselfer who likes to take up new challenges (electronics would be my strong point)

I'd like to customize the car in some way, and what I need to know is if there are any companies out there that sell custom body kits, engine rebuild kits, etc. for this kind of car. I've searched the internet, but I can't find any "good" online parts catalogs for this type of car. I can find some sites, but what I'm looking for is a company with a good website or mail-order parts catalog that lists all parts from A-Z so that I can see what I want before I order. I'd like to price out my options before deciding upon everything I want to do to the car. The company would be located in the U.S. or Australia preferably.

I will be doing a lot of customizing on this car from body to suspension to wheels, etc. and I already have most of the car dissassembled with plenty of time and room to work.

Hopefully, if I can find some good information, I can build a totally original, fun, and economical car that I will use as my daily driver for may years to come.

p.s. - I don't expect to do this overnight, I'm realistic and know this will take me several years at the very least to complete as I'm doing most of the work myself. This is something I'm doing for pleasure and not because I HAVE to! ;)

Thanks for any and all that can provide me with some good information on the '74 Saab 99 LE!!!

Reply to
Jay

Hi Jay, do we know each other I wonder? Milwaukee Saab club maybe?

Me, I'd dump the LE-Jetronic system and install a Bosch CIS injection system. Maybe even do the H-engine upgrade, takes a minor change to the firewall. Stick a 16-valve late 80's Turbo engine in there and you'd have a screamer.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

G'day Jay. I'm a Saab C900 enthusiast in Sydney so it's great to hear from another fellow Saabist.

I own a few C900's and try to do as much with them myself since that way I learn more and save $$$ too.

Sounds good. I don't have a garage so I'm not really able to take my cars apart quite to that extent (yet). 8-)

If you're trying to source parts for your 99, try places like Parts for Saabs in the UK

etc.

There are some good online parts places in the US too -

is one I recommend but there are plenty more.

Consider joining the NSW branch of the Saab Car Club of Australia too. The club's website is at "

". I've been a member sincelast year.

Good luck with your car! There are plenty of 99 enthusiasts around in Australia going on how popular 99 turbo's, etc. seem to be.

Regards,

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site