Arizona Smog Revision Update

This is for you Zonies out there. I mentioned in my group a few months ago that the Arizona State Legislature has passed a law changing emissions testing from the present '67-up situation to a 25-year rolling exemption. This became effective as of Sept 1 of this year, but it seemed that nobody at the local stations knew what the hell was going on. Today I called the ADEQ and talked to a senior official there. He informed me that enactment of this law is pending approval by the EPA before it can be instituted. He knows of no particular reason it won't be, but you know how the EPA can be.

In any case, once the approval goes through, all the 60's and most of the 70's cars in this state will be exempt from smog tests. The cost of registration for the older cars will go up about 50 bucks to offset the lost revenue to the state. Big surprise there, no? I say, "Big deal", 'cuz I'd pay that to be running around with a 6-71 and the cam from Hell.

For you Mod Motor freaks, this means legal swaps into older cars with no bullshit catalytics or anything else unnecessary. Maybe some smart company will release carb intakes for those engines, so the rpm's inherent in SOHC's can actually be realized.

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet

I'm shocked they have smog checks for 67 cars in az! Especially because they have good gas compared to us here in cal.

FYI, one correction: take a REAL careful look at any proposed law and do NOT presume smog-exempt cars can be altered with impunity. Here in cal,

72 and up are the only cars smogged, but the law here technically still forbids modifying those cars, as i understand it. Our local car talk show pointed out that because of that point, if they do make pre-72 cars smoggable (which they've talked about), someone bringing in a souped-up 69 chevy would find their car unsmoggable and unlicensable. Akin to, say, dropping in a hot cam amd modified motor in a 1989 car and then expecting it to meet smog requirements.

So yeah--change carbs and stuff, but keep the original equipment around--just in case

Reply to
vince garcia

The Phoenix Metro area uses an ethanol blend, while the rest of the state uses normal gas. I'd like to know who is getting paid off for that nonsense.

But the gas has nothing to do with it. The issue at stake is the money the state extorts from car owners for the actual testing.

All attempts at reversing or amending the California 30-year rolling exemption have failed. The last bill tried to smog cars back to 1955, which is just laughable. Fortunately, organizations like SEMA stay on top of this situation nationwide.

The problem for the jerkoffs trying to get this crap passed is that there are too many studies now that have shown that the smog from older vehicles as a whole is almost negligible. Rolling exemptions have been adopted by several other states. You can always count on someone in California to muck up the works there, though.

Here is the direct link to the AZ House Bill 2387's effect on the emissions and registration statutes. Lines that are affected are in blue. The effective date is the last line on the page.

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet

Does this mean you are located in Arizona? If so where abouts?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Budwill

I live in the Valley of the Sun. And you?

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet

good gas ? no-way. We have ethanol mixture in winter and mtbe poisoned fuel in summer.

Rein

Finally out on my own feet in Chandler. Use to live with my parents in Mesa. Do you ever stop by the pavillions?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Budwill

Once in a while.

Reply to
CobraJet

Neither of which do anything to help the air pollution on modern cars but the ethanol does lower your gas mileage and reduce performance.

----------------- Jim '88 LX 5.0 (now in car heaven) '89 LX 5.0 vert '99 GT 35th Anniversery Edition - Silver Mods to date - Relocated trunk release to drivers side, shortened throttle cable.

Reply to
AZGuy

Well, before your cat has warmed to operating temperature, the oxygenated fuel is of some benefit. Once the system is warmed up, though, they really don't help, sure.

Keep in mind that MTBE and ethanol are also used as octane-boosting blending components, though I'd much prefer a fuel blend free of either myself.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

I didn't think MTBE had any octane boosting benefit. Ethanol does boast octane, that is true, but it has only about half as much energy per unit as gasoline. So you get less power. Less power means you have to burn more gasohol to travel the same distance so you get worse gas mileage. It's been studied to death. There is only ONE reason we are using gasohol and that is politics - it's a way to take money out of your pocket to buy votes for congressmen in the midwestern states.

----------------- Jim '88 LX 5.0 (now in car heaven) '89 LX 5.0 vert '99 GT 35th Anniversery Edition - Silver Mods to date - Relocated trunk release to drivers side, shortened throttle cable.

Reply to
AZGuy

Rein

Reply to
Nicodemus Telrenner

Yup, that's the only reason. Even though the corn => ethanol thing produces a fuel, it's not a free ride. It takes water, land, equipment to cultivate, harvest, process, etc in order to get this "renewable" resource. Things are *consumed* in the process.

If you are really concerned about the waste of resources then can I assume you are a vegetarian? Meat production requires 5 to 1000 times the fossil fuel energy that plant foods do. We could save FAR more Dino fuel by becoming vegetarians then by using ethanol.

So I hope you'll excuse me for not wanting to pay higher prices for a worse fuel when far greater savings could be made by legislating meat off our tables instead of alcohol in our tanks.

Don't assume I'm a vegetarian, I'm not. But if I promoted/supported corn => ethanol to reduce our use of dino fuel while eating meat I'd be a hypocrite.

----------------- Jim '88 LX 5.0 (now in car heaven) '89 LX 5.0 vert '99 GT 35th Anniversery Edition - Silver Mods to date - Relocated trunk release to drivers side, shortened throttle cable.

Reply to
AZGuy

Actually I think the studies showed that there was a net energy loss in producing ethanol for fuel due to the energy expenditures noted below.

Howard

1989 LX 5.0 vert
Reply to
hnelson

Rein

Not all of Arizona requires an emissions test. I've looked into this and I know Maricopa and Pima counties require it. So if you live in Tucson or Phoenix you'll most likely have to pay for the test, but; there's a good possibility that the emissions law will change soon, maybe this year. Basically they're looking into changing the years of the cars that need to be tested. BTW, Cochise county does not test, you can always come down here :)...

Cheo

1969 Mustang GT

performance.

Reply to
Cheo-de-Arizona

Yeah, I know. The newer test (96+ cars) is to only read codes from the EEC. No codes and you pass. They still charge 30 bucks or so.. what a rip off. Motorcycles is a joke also. They test the exhaust gas, idle only. Don't even check the gascap but the form says pass for gas cap check. Still 18 bucks and have to do it every year.

What do you know about the tests go>Not all of Arizona requires an emissions test. I've looked into this and I

Rein

for those newbies in Az, the emission testing program was voted in on a very badly worded ballot. Basically if you did not want a testing program, you voted yes, if you wanted the program, you voted no. No s won by a landslide, now that it is here, it will not go away. Also, when the program started, all cars and truck 1965 and new had to be tested, and every yr after that, the last yr would move up, that work for 2 yrs. All cars and trucks 67 and newer have to be tested. Also, only the 2 most populated counties in the state have to go thru it, ( the most money spots). The program is a rip off and has been that way since day 1. Matt Gunsch, A&P,IA,Private Pilot Riding member of the 2003 world champion drill team Arizona Precision Motorcycle Drill Team GWRRA,NRA,GOA

Reply to
N329DF

-- Jim '88 LX 5.0 (now in car heaven) '89 LX 5.0 vert '99 GT 35th Anniversery Edition - Silver Mods to date - Relocated trunk release to drivers side, shortened throttle cable, PIAA Driving lights.

Reply to
AZGuy