Fuel injection vs. Carburetion 79 AZ emissions

I have a 79 Super Beetle with a dead engine. Anyway, I'm in the process of re-doing the engine. I would like to get a little more power out of the motor but I'm concerned about the strict Arizona emissions standards. Has anyone faced a problem like this before? I'm concerned about sinking a lot of money in to new fuel injections parts. The fuel injectors look in pretty tough shape :( and the $400 for injectors could go a long way towards carburetion.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

Reply to
Dan Ryan

Depending on where you live in Arizona, you may not have to worry about the emissions test. Only those who live in the metropolitan areas of Pima (Tucson) and Maricopa (Phoenix) and Yavapai (Prescott) Counties have to have their emissions tested.

And even then a '79 only has to pass the curb idle test in some areas, and a loaded and curb test in others. A carbureted engine is easier to tune to pass these tests than a fuel injected one.

Here's the place to check which applies to you, and what is required:

Just in case somebody asks, model year 1966 and earlier are exempt from emissions testing in Arizona, as are any year vehicles that are registered outside of the above areas.

Reply to
Alan Nelson

I read all the AZ laws but they are not as clear as Calif law. Here we cannot remove FI and put a carb on, that is tampering and also a violation of Federal law.

Karl