Auto electronic devices

After reading many horror stories in this NG regarding electric fuel pumps, computer chips, modules, etc., it makes me wonder about the future of DYI auto maintenance. I've heard about, but not investigated the "drive by wire" technology, and I wonder about a situation where the driver has to take radical evasive maneuvers and the car computer says: "I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that"

Still driving an old fashioned 1984 Capri RS 5.0 with no fancy electronic devices (to my knowledge). :-) Dick

Reply to
dickr2

Should be DIY, my bad.

Reply to
dickr2

Wow... where do we start? SYNC? Adaptive cruise control? Adaptive headlights? Active park aid? The list goes on...

While it may come as a surprise, auto makers rely on selling new cars as a means of income.... I wish I could be there to see the look on your face

Reply to
Jim Warman

Hi Jim, I guess I should have qualified "electronic devices" as they apply to Mustangs and related. Yes, I have a Ford van and a Ford Escort that both have FI and probably all kinds of other mysterious devices, but no problems with them. Possibly there are newsgroups for other Ford vehicles and similar problems have been reported? I dunno. Dick

Reply to
dickr2

Dick... the new vehicles have some astounding features... "drive by wire" has been around since 04... active park aid would about rock yer sox...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Yes, but the REAL money is in the replacement parts division. Pity the poor fool who has to buy a part that is a "dealer-only" part.

Reply to
Kruse

Nothing fancy on an '84 but it will be dead after an EMP too.

If you really want to be safe you need something built before electronic ignition.

Reply to
Brent

So what's an EMP?

Reply to
dickr2

Brent

I still have my 94' Mustang. Prior to that I had a 90' Cadillac. All computers are rigged by the manufacture to WARN and screw up engines at set millage. I had my mechanic install a new (rebuilt) computer in my Mustang four years ago. I also made sure the odometer was disconnected. NO warnings or problems with my Mustang since. Just regular maintenance.

Reply to
p2468

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 12:10:22 -0800, p2468 rearranged some electrons to say:

Good luck selling the thing without going to jail for odometer fraud.

Reply to
david

I'll believe mileage-based warnings and reminders, but intentionally screwing up engine settings is IMHO an urban myth.

Reply to
Bob Willard

One of the things I like about my 69 Pontiac is that all it really needs to run is two switches, one to send power to the coil, and one to activate the starter. Nothing else is needed. Not an electronic gizmo in sight.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher