Best method for installing valve cover gaskets-67 FE big block

What's the best method for installing 67 FE engine valve cover gaskets? I just put on a set dry and I'm getting a litle seepage. Should I use gasket sealer? Any other methods recommended? Thanks

Reply to
sanpablo

Many years ago, I settled on using "HiTack" spray... a coat on the gasket and a coat on the gasket rail of the valve cover.... let them "tack" and assemble... A small dab of silicone where the intake manifold and cylinder head gasket rails meet will help immensely.

Torque the covers carefully to avoid belling the material around the bolts (indeeed, make sure they are straight and flat to begin with) and make sure you are using those little plates under the bolt heads to spread the clamping force. If you are using the cork gaskets, be aware that they can shrink over time and usually require occasional retorquing until you no longer "gain" on the bolts.

FWIW, intake manifolds and valve covers are two areas I like to repeat final torque sequence on several times once I have achieved target torque...

Reply to
Jim Warman

"Jim Warman" wrote in news:hcKqi.74036$xk5.14143@edtnps82:

I agree. I always use sealer ONLY to seal the gasket to the cover. That will allow you to remove the cover without destroying the gasket (unless the gasket is so old it needs replacing anyway.)

Reply to
elaich

So, is this top posting or bottom posting????

FWIW - there is nothing so inane.... so timing consuming... so useless - as scratching ones way to the bottom of a pile only to find some gem of wisdom like "me too".

Proudly top posting since circa 1993...

Reply to
Jim Warman

"Jim Warman" wrote in news:qW3ri.79153$xk5.24392@edtnps82:

At best, it's inconsiderate; at worst, it's stupid.

Except for having to go back through already-read posts to find out what the current post containing refers to.

Thereby forcing the reader to read backwards. Simply brilliant.

Reply to
Joe

"Jim Warman" wrote in news:qW3ri.79153$xk5.24392 @edtnps82:

The problem is others just as ignorant as you who don't know how to snip. I find both types to be in the same vein. Killfiled. They rarely have any "gems of wisdom" to offer to begin with.

Reply to
elaich

Joe wrote in news:Xns997C912C4333Enospamforme@

216.77.188.18:

You, of course, noticed which newsreader he is using. Branded as "idiot" before he even posted.

Reply to
elaich

elaich wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

Goes without saying. Nice sig, btw..

Reply to
Joe

Since you didn't bother to quote anything, it is neither.

Reply to
Hairy