Valve cover gasket woes

Okay, I'm just venting. It seems that every car I work on has a weepy valve cover gasket. I've fixed my own in the past using a product called Hylomar, but I ran out, and I haven't seen it in years(wish I could buy more....). Hylomar seemed to work pretty good, and chase the drips away for a long time.

Last June I did a timing belt job on my '97 NA. About 6 months in, the valve cover gasket was leaking. So I took it apart, cleaned it, and put in a new gasket; I followed the tightening and torque specs in the FSM to a T.

2 months later..it's weeping again. It was a 'Perma dry' Felpro gasket I installed. "Perma-dry" being a blatant lie in my opinion.

Do I need to just silicone the whole damn thing to keep it dry? I hate...Hate...oil leaks. Especially ones that can migrate down and hit the exhaust manifold and turn into a nasty smell in the passenger compartment....

At 105,000 it should not be a big deal to have a dry engine. The oil pan, front, rear, and cam seals do not leak. I replaced the CAS o-ring and that area is staying dry. The only thing left is the valve cover, and it seems to be the only trouble area...

Any tips?

Chris

Reply to
Hal