Weld lines showing on quarter panel: 1973 mustang

Hey group,

About a year and a half ago, I had a body shop replace my left quarter panel, which was rusting. They replaced the whole thing right up to an inch from the deck lid/trunk line, where they welded. (NOS quarter panel, btw)

I just noticed recently a line beginning to form where I assume they did the weld...further inspection showed that the weld connected the bottom rear part of the quarter panel to the rear panel under the bumper had a small seam in it that was actually seperated.

Who is exactly to blame for this? I keep it very clean, waxed, garaged, and dry...the paint is less than two years old, and there's no other rust on the car...was this a job done poorly?

Thanks for your help.

- Nick

Reply to
nick

"nick" wrote

Are you sure you just didn't notice it before and it was there all the time? I've heard of body putty shrinking under paint if it wasn't allowed to dry before paint, but you should've noticed it way before now. Is the paint cracking from shrinkage? No offense, but I'm betting it was like that all the time and you're just now noticing it. Yes it was the bodyshops fault, but I bet it was always like that and they're not gonna want to honor bodywork they did close to 3 years ago, especially since you didn't notice it in the first place. I find it hard to believe that the seam is just now beginning to show without cracking the paint over it. I bet the seam wasn't filled correctly in the first place and they just painted over it.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

I dunno...I stared at it quite intently and waxed it at least 10 times since the work was done. I think I would've noticed it at that point.

He did the paint as well and it's beginning to flake off the seam at the deck lid too...I think it was just a combination of shoddy worksmanship.

As far as body putty goes, he didn't use any...it was all metal and he took pictures to prove it...so I really dunno...it looked perfect when I got it back though, I'm 99.9% sure of it.

- Nick

Reply to
nick