Will someone please tell me why I don't want this........

Because I'm bloody tempted for some reason. Must be the massive bus-like steering wheel.

Peter

-- "Diamonds are what I really need - think I'll rob a store, escape the law, and live in Italy. Lately, my luck has been so bad, you know the roulette wheel, it's a crooked deal, I'm losing all I had."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Surprisingly pleasant to drive, those. I bought 2 in new zealand a few years back for $80 (about £30) one with mot and one without. it was the one without mot that i put ont the road though cos the other was only good for parts.

Reply to
jeremy

and while we're looking at old austins

jeremy

In article , snipped-for-privacy@WithThanks.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Surprisingly good drive, despite the looks. Much better than an Allegro that came after, and there was a GT version (at least it was in the dealer bumf as the mini Clubman range).

Remember Basil Faulty drove one. And the VandenPlas version had a grille like a baby rolls royce, plus leather and wood trim. The MG and Wolsley versions were a bit different too. Police used the Wolsley version for Panda cars (like Astras now, but a much better car)

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

In news:gPsmd.103$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net, AstraVanMan decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

because everywhere you go people with thrash it with sticks and shout "Start you Bastard, right, I'm warning you, you're in for a damn good thrashing"

Reply to
Pete M

Or the opportunity of that 1970s engine just to annoy the tree huggers!

Reply to
DervMan

The tree huggers would love it. it's them that own nearly all of the

70s a) beetles b) commers/bedford cfs c) buses.
Reply to
jeremy

Sorry, "those treehuggers smart enough to realise that the mileage I'd do in an old car won't be kind to the environment." :)

Reply to
DervMan

"DervMan" wrote

from

bangers don't always have catalytic converters, electronic engine management or any of that other environmental stuff (although an increasing number do), so if you are green-minded, it is fair to ask what effect your banger is having on the environment. The car manufacturers certainly want you to think you can 'do your bit' by scrapping your old car and buying a brand new one, and they are trying (so far without success) to persuade the Government to give cash incentives to people who do this.But consider this. A car uses more energy and produces more pollution in its manufacture and disposal than in the whole of its working life. So by keeping an old car on the road, instead of scrapping it and buying a brand new one, you are doing the environment the biggest possible favour, short of giving up driving altogether. And the real pollution problem isn't caused by old cars, but by badly maintained ones. A new car doesn't need an MoT until it is three years old. By then it could have done 90,000 miles with minimal servicing, and be spewing out more pollution than a Russian power station. And as for catalytic convertors - not only do they increase fuel consumption (and therefore greenhouse gases), but they are also very fragile. There are any number of ways to kill a 'cat' (driving through floods, putting LRP in the tank instead of unleaded, even push starting your car when the battery has gone flat) and a 'cat' equipped car with a faulty convertor will produce more pollution than an older car in good condition. So follow the Bangernomics philosophy, keep your old car well maintained (which also means it uses less fuel) and you can drive with a clean conscience.

Reply to
fishman

could anyone be bothered to read all that?

anyway you dont want one because you'd grow bored with it extremely quickly.

Mason

Reply to
Mason

Yes and it made very good sense.