Closest match to Grabber Orange

I'm in the process of restoring a 70 Mach 1 and want to spray it Grabber Orange. Does anyone know of a modern paint code that is a close match? What are your opinion on metallic paint on vintage Mustangs?

Reply to
jlsnyman

You can get the original "Grabber Orange" paint from PPG @

The PPG paint code is 2232 (Ford paint code "U").

Yet another $.02 worth from a proud owner of a "Calypso Coral " 1970 Mach 1

Reply to
Grover C. McCoury III

My .02. I like Calypso Coral over Grabber Orange. Don't do metallic. It just doesn't look right on a classic for some reason. Again, just MO. I was going to put Audi's Nogaro Blue on my '69 which is a pearl and metallic. It's gorgeous, but after a few test panels with it, I decided to go with the same shade of blue but without the pearl and flake. It looks much "cleaner". Check my website, can you imagine pearl over that beautiful color?? Don't do it to yours.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

Huh? There were a number of metalics back then...

For 1970 Mustangs: Dark Ivy Metalic, Med. Lime Metalic, Bright gold metalic, Med. Blue metalic, MEd. Gold Metalic, Sliver blue metalic.

Reply to
Brent P

And they all looked like crap, IMO. It was hard to get the metallic to look right for very long in the single stage paint they used back then. Ever seen a Med Lime Metallic car after it's sat in the sun for a month? Yech!! You had to wax that stuff every week!! I know, my '69 used to BE Med Lime Metallic.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

The durability and care requirements aside, the colors are not incorrect for those cars as the colors were factory choices. If one is repainting a car the durability and care requirements of the no longer available paint formulations is moot.

One of my favorite colors btw, is Dark Green Metalic, and if I should buy a new mustang, I would want it in that color if Ford could only see to offer it instead of that modern version of lime-gold.

Reply to
Brent P