Compromise Tires

I have a Mustang Bullitt with the original stock tires. They handle very well in the summer; are ok in rain but deadly in snow or on ice.

They are loud to the point that it is hard to carry on a conversation at

70 mph.

Any recommendations for a tire that handles pretty well; will go in light snow and is quiet?

Thanks.

Reply to
Rikoski

Interesting question... IS there a quiet performance tire?

Not being able to converse at 70mph is a blessing, I think. The only passenger normally in my car is my wife.

Are the originals Z-rated tires? You may want to drop down a peg or two. I like the W-rated Goodrich KDWS...

dwight

dwight

Check the latest all-season info at tirerack.com I've had pretty good luck doing it that way. Although my last set was worthless for a second winter. First winter was fine. Just got real winter tires and will wear the last bit off that set of all-seasons in the summer.

Reply to
Brent P

My Mustang wears BF Goodrich gForce 225/50ZR16 KDWS rubber. They are darn good, and they are really quiet compared to others I have tried.

Reply to
Spike

I need new tires for mustang, former cop car with 15 inch rims, I was looking at the BFG gForce Sport, as the KDWS do not come in 15 inch. Think Sport are good? Hate to get a set of new rims, they cost a lot(?)

Reply to
Nomal Sapeton

I know new rims cost a bit.... although I got mine for about half price brand new as blems :0)

I had a 91 Pontiac Firebird GTA that came with Goodyear Z rated tires. Suckers wore out faster than I could add miles. After a couple of replacement sets, I switched to BFG T/As which I understand the gForce have replaced. I have been happy with BFGs (Z & R rated) so far. Low noise, good traction, and good appearance. Low noise in my 65 means a LOT since they were built with next to no sound deadening compared to later decades.

Never having used the Sport, I can't rate them. Maybe someone else has used them and will rate them for you.

Something I have seen lately which has come as a surprise, are vendors who say you can try 'em out and if you don't like them you can bring 'em back. You might talk to tire shops and see if anyone in your area will do so. Can't hurt to try.

Reply to
Spike