replacement forrester tires

After 35,000 miles the original yokohama geolander tires (215/60/HR16) tires are not faring well. Blowout this weekend with the family in the car and it's time for replacements.

I live in the Northeast---want a great snow/ice tire, but really don't want the hassle or expense of swapping tires with the seasons. Recommendations? I do not want the Geolanders again.

Thanks!

Reply to
BKS

Sorry, I can't help. I'll be interested in responses from knowledgeable owners.

If you don't mind, I'm curious: other than relatively low mileage, what don't you like about the Geolanders? I just got my new Forester and, after a bit over 600 miles, they seem OK. But I'm a newbie with this car and these tires.

Thanks.

HW

Reply to
H. Whelply

(215/60/HR16)

Recommendations?

Reply to
Edward Hayes

The Geolanders need to be replaced after just 30,000 miles. And after having a blowout with my family in the car, I'd like to try others. I know a blowout can happen with any tire, but I took great care of these tires---rotated every 6,000 miles, checked air every week, etc.

So, looking for something that will last longer and might be a bit safer.

Reply to
BKS

Sorry, what are shell roads??

Reply to
Jason

Reply to
Edward Hayes

I'm not impressed the Geolanders after 1800 mi. The 2004 Forester should be able to easily out-handle the 2003 Camry, but I've noticed squealing on turns. I would imagine that my tires still have a lot of life left, I too am curious about a superior replacement.

Niels

(215/60/HR16)

Recommendations?

Reply to
<nielskistrup

I noticed that you said they were not faring well with 35,000 miles on your first post; now you mention they need to be replaced after just 30,000 miles. ??? Is this to say that you should have dumped them 5,000 miles back and didn't, or what? Just wondering. As to the mileage you got, we got 28K on my wife's 99 Forester, and I opted to change the Geolanders on my 99 Forester at the same time; with 25K on them, they were pretty shot too. The second set for us were another Yokohama product, the S305 bought at NTB (formerly TireAmerica) and they did well and gave us each over 45K before we just bought new tires last week. They were getting sketchy in heavy rain and I didn't want to test them out this winter, so we bought Kumho 717 tires from a local dealer. Paid $68 per tire. I very much like them so far, excellent grip, great wide channels in the center to dump water out, and good number of sipes for snow traction. This is preliminary, of course, but I think they'll do fine. You can read about them and read reviews at Tirerack.com and order from them if you wish, for possibly a bit less than I paid. I chose to give the dealer the small extra price per tire rather than order from Tirerack and then have him put them on. Good for future relations there, and he is an honest guy I like to deal with. Good luck with your search. By the way, I went up a size to 225/60/16 to correct a small underreading of my speedo, and it seems to be better at that size, now within 1% accurate, though it was more like 3% under before. I did that with the previous set and stuck with it again.

Reply to
D H

My Geolandars squealed a bit when I let the air pressure get a bit too low. Stopped doing it when I brought them back up to spec.

Reply to
BBB

Duh! Shame > > I'm not impressed the Geolanders after 1800 mi. The 2004 Forester should be

Reply to
<nielskistrup

Reply to
harv