Could someone with a 67-68 do me a favour? (Measurement)

I need to know the measurement from one side of the aprons to the other

(not my picture, I apologize, but it's the best I could find to describe it). I replaced the front right apron, but it's not lining up correctly (I don't have the rad support on), and I need to know how far to smash it with a hammer.. ;) If you could take some measurements from the inside to inside right near the front so I can get the rad support on correctly and have the fender line up, that would be perfect.. Maybe even from the inside of the top fender hole to the inside of the other fender hole or something. Basically just a couple of measurements so I can get the apron in line (The other side is original, so I'm going to use that as my reference point). Thanks a lot! Appreciate it

Reply to
JohnnyK

I took a measurement even with the forward hood bumpers that snap in to the top of the inner fender, as the radiator precluded anything further up. In between the edges at the top of the inner fenders, I have 41 1/8".

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet

I had 41" even here. Not bad for a car that's been on the road for all those years to be an 1/8" different. Probably the only thing on this car that's close to where it should be. Doug

Reply to
dellen38

that measurement won't do any good if the front frame rails aren't straight. you need to take cross measurements from the top and bottom to ensure squareness of the front end. i'm sure over the years each shock tower has moved in at the top slightly. whack stuff with a hammer and you'll end up with a piece of crap. i'll try to find the body measurements tonight. Chip

Reply to
Chip Stein

And you can bet that cars built in the 60's had a lot looser allowable tolerances at the factory than today.

A neighbor of mine was on a Ford assembly line back then. He said the funniest thing he ever witnessed, of all the frig-ups there, was a Falcon station wagon that wound up with one door on one side and two on the other. Nobody noticed until they started to put the interior in.

And I'll bet I'm not the only old fart that remembers stories about new cars that were so out of whack that they could not be aligned at the shop.

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet

Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate it. Yeah, I guess I should get a measurement from one frame rail to the other eh? Thanks!!

Reply to
JohnnyK