Did A/C in 1973 Mustangs work well?

Some people have told me that the A/C in the first-generation Mustangs were cold but could't be compared to the more modern cars. Others have told me that the A/C was freezing cold. Since I live on a tropical island, the A/C is very important.

So was the AC good in 1973?

Thanks.

Reply to
VM

VM opined in news:4f7Kd.3532$ snipped-for-privacy@fe39.usenetserver.com:

How many times are you going to ask the same questions?

By '73, as I recall, the factory air had the kinks ironed out and worked well.

The compressors were inefficient as he!!, that's why all now use japanese or GM designs..

But if you're buying a 73, that's the least of your worries regarding gas mileage.

I assume you can still buy R 12 ("freon") in your location... you're going to need it.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

as i remeber FORD put anit icing sensor on the factory air units begining in

Reply to
walt peifer

X-No-archive:yes Had one in my '73 Cougar (same set-up I believe) that I just sold.It still worked,and would keep the car comfy through the California-Nevada-Arizona desert at 120=B0F outside.Had to add Freon 12 every couple years or so. Brian O.

********************
Reply to
Brian Orion

Well, they were inefficient and maybe that's one reason they phased them out. I think the main reason is that they were too big to fit under the hood of the smaller cars that were coming out. Geeesh, can you imagine them trying to fit an old Tecumseh or Yorx compressor under the hood of a modern car?

As far as reliability, for the most part, they were. They probably had a longer lifespan than modern day compressors. I have an original on a '71 Cougar and it still works.

Reply to
Kruse

Reply to
cobra boy

I was worried that since it's a very old car, then the a/c 'technology' wasn't that good. I currently have an '89 volvo 240DL and when I take it to fix, the first thing they say is that the a/c doesn't cool as much as other cars (ie. it cools but it's not 'ice cold').

Reply to
VM